Common Sense 1, Disney 0

Disney relented and scrapped plans to make a pretty pretty princess version of Merida.

Since there has to be a question - do you like having nothing but princesses for girls from Disney, or should they put out more Merida-type characters?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:52 PM on May. 15, 2013 in Entertainment

• I don't care what the do. I was disappointed int he change they made but it's not Disney's job to teach our kids self-esteem. It's up to the parents, we as parents are the one's to tell our children what is appropriate and what isn't. To teach them that being who they are is more beautiful then having a truck load of make-up on and a skimpy dress.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:56 PM on May. 15, 2013

• I am glad they decided to scrap it. I love Merida the way she is and it wouldn't have been the same if they had tried to change her. As for the princess question, well there is Mulan and the girl in Princess and the Frog. They both are less princess, more just being who they are. Yeah, they did both end up with guys but they were still the actual heros in the story, not the guy. I am cool with that.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:07 PM on May. 15, 2013

• Don't forget Pocahontas! She was my favorite growing up.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:09 PM on May. 15, 2013

• I think that there should be different options for girls to relate to. However, I personally ended up with ultra girly princess loving girls. But, mine are not the only norm.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:16 PM on May. 15, 2013

• I like the more self-reliant princesses like Mulan. But I think the girlie princess thing, which my daughter is really into right now, is harmless as long as it's just good clean fun and not taken as the way to live life. My daughter likes to pretend to twirl in a fancy dress, but the next minute she's climbing the rock walls at our apartment complex or crouching under the playground structure pretending it's a fort, so I don't think the pretty princess stuff runs too deep with her. As for Merida, I didn't see the movie, but from what I heard there was a lot of conflict between the princess and her parents. Might be more suitable for preteens and teenage girls, who can relate to having different ideas than Mom and Dad.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:24 PM on May. 15, 2013

• I liked Meridaa the way she was and so does my 4 year old. When she first came out she was telling everyone that their hair was alike. (Both totally uncontrollable!) I like that they have different princesses for different types of girls. They need to leave them be and not change them.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:17 PM on May. 15, 2013