2 part question

The comments quoted in the 10 Commandments question had me thinking. Rarely (if ever) does anyone justify the irrational demand to hang them on government property as a Jewish issue. Occasionally a politician in a mixed-faith city might refer to it as a "Judeo-Christian" issue, if it's an election year. The vast majority of the time, it's presented as some form of this is a Christian nation, therefore we need to prove it by hanging up the 10 Commandments everywhere we can, no matter how illegal it is. It's also more prevalent in the more klan- rich regions of the country (aka those areas where people still teach their children that Jews killed Jesus)

So question 1) When exactly did the Christians steal custody of the 10 Commandments from Judaism? Last I checked, they originate in the OT.

Question 2) By stealing said commandments, aren't they automatically violating them?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:11 PM on May. 15, 2013 in Religious Debate

• The Ten Commandments do not BELONG to any religion, they are there for anyone that wishes to follow them... no one can steal something that does not belong to someone. They were GIVEN to anyone that wishes to follow.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:13 PM on May. 15, 2013

• They were GIVEN to anyone that wishes to follow.

Then perhaps all those Christians demanding to hang them in city hall should stop trying to claim sole ownership
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:16 PM on May. 15, 2013

• Don't most Christians violate the ten commandments?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:17 PM on May. 15, 2013

• Claiming ownership does not make sense to me.

And of course most Christians break the ten commandments... no one is perfect and anyone that claims to be is breaking one by saying so. They are there as a guideline and something to follow and strive for, which no one will ever attain... therefore the reason for Christ.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:23 PM on May. 15, 2013

• I will never understand this backwards thinking. Christianity is a sect of Judaism. The entire OT is basically the Torah. Jesus was a Jew (not just in faith but, in ethnicity as well). But, yet...Christianity is the correct path and what "Our Nation is founded on" (intense sarcasm & eye roll).

I'm assuming the theft of the commandments started when all Jews wouldn't convert & accept Jesus as the messiah. Which, coincides with the Jews becoming a lesser people & accused of killing Jesus and etc. And, still continues to this day.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:29 PM on May. 15, 2013

• How can one STEAL a series of commandments? Christianity adopted the OT along with the NT and I guess would "belong" to the followers of both religions... Messianic Judaism for example, still follows the OT and commandments while adopting and following Christ. A true Christian would follow everything as well. 

You cannot steal what does not belong to any specific person.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:39 PM on May. 15, 2013

• The only reason it's not considered straight up "stealing" ^^^ is because copy right laws did not exist then.
    Say, I love Harry Potter so much that I want to start a religion out of it. That would be legal. But, if our "Bible's" first section was nothing but,chunks, word for word taken out of JK Rowling's books, I'd be sued up the @$$.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:48 PM on May. 15, 2013

• The Bible is divine inspiration (my belief, I understand that is not yours) and JK Rowling is a person that wrote down his story and thoughts... I guess the difference in opinion here lies on the difference in the faith.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:51 PM on May. 15, 2013

Whether or not it makes sense to you is irrelevant. There are millions of Christians doing exactly that. As long as the diametrically opposed belief systems that all claim the title "Christian" refuse to give it up, The larger group that is Christianity is going to be identified by all of its factions, regardless of how many other Christians agree or disagree. You can't pick and choose what is and isn't Christian based on your own personal beliefs - claiming "ownership" of the Commandments is a Christian trait, even if it's not the exact flavor of Chrsitianity you personally practice.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:18 PM on May. 15, 2013

• the part that aggravates me the most is that most Christians will say "we dont follow the OT laws anymore" yet they say "put up the 10 commandments cause its in the Bible". how about using the NT laws that were actually repeated by Jesus, ya know do unto others and love God. no...lets use the ones from the OT that we claim not to follow when it comes to the other 603 laws that are really inconvenient.

its all from God...unless it tells us not to wear mixed clothing or forbids us to eat bacon.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:26 PM on May. 15, 2013