Help with Parakeets!!

I have a pair of Parakeets named Eleanor and Sherman and they drive me crazy. They are the most skittish and flighty birds that I have ever seen! When I purchased them, the pet store people said that than can be "hand trained" fairly easily. I am not interested so much in "hand taming" them, but I can't so much as walk past their cage with out them going into a panic! They fall off their perches, flop around the bottom of the cage and stress themselves out if we go any where near the cage. We don't do anything to purposely scare them, we don't torment or tease them, but would love for them to just chill out a little bit. Every time they go crazy they send tiny feathers, bird dander and seed flying and act as if they are going to have a heart attack. I've tried keeping them in the living room so they are around the family hoping they would get used to the activity, and I've also tried keeping them in a bedroom that is more quiet and has less activity but nothing works. 

Does anybody have any clue as to how to get these two birds to calm themselves down? LOL I feel bad for them, they seem stressed all the time, but I can't stand that they are so fearful. 

I have always had birds, and also currently own an African Grey but these two parakeets are the ridiculous!

_whisper_

Asked by _whisper_ at 3:02 PM on May. 15, 2013 in Pets

• A friend of ours helped hers by covering the cage with a blanket. for the first week she only left it cracked. there was a little space they could see out. When they got okay with that she opened it up a bit more. Then got it to where she was only covering 3 sides, then two... then had it completely uncovered. She continued to cover the cage completely when the house was chaotic for a good while though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:38 PM on May. 15, 2013

• These steps can also help claim your birds down when you go near the cage

Provide the appropriate surroundings, which can be vital to a parakeet’s life. Do not put the parakeet(s) in a dark room that is quiet. If your room is bright and you are interacting with the parakeet, it will feel comfortable.

Wait about a week before you start training, so the bird can get acclimated to its new surroundings. Also make sure that your parakeet is used to your presence. He should be familiar with you being around because you change his food and water everyday. You should sit beside the cage every day, as much as you can, and just talk to your bird. He needs to get used to the sound of your voice.

Gain your pet's trust. For the first day of training, slowly open the door and put your hand on the bottom of the cage and let it rest there. Talk to your parakeet. Read a book out loud, or just chatter on about nothing in particular.
    Bri060492

Answer by Bri060492 at 12:26 AM on May. 16, 2013

• Don’t move your hand. Stay still but continue to talk in a soothing voice.
    Lots of parakeets may fly around or squawk at you. However, remain still so it can determine that nothing will happen at this point.

Repeat the previous step every day but progress into the cage. Every day,move your hand slightly further in than the day before until you reach the perch. The parakeet should realize after a couple days of your hand being in the cage is nothing to fear and it will become part of what it expects in his daily routine.

Move your hand towards the parakeet. The bird will realize by now that the hand in its cage is nothing to fear yet it will most likely start to fly and squawk if you try and touch it. It can be a slow process but again you need to repeat these daily until the parakeet is used to you.
    Bri060492

• When you are able to get your hand close, close enough to the bird to touch it, start by setting your finger against it's feet.

It may respond by either flying off your hand or being brave and stepping up onto your hand. More often than not it is the first option but be persistent. Move on to the next step when your parakeet will step up on your hand and sit there with comfort.

As soon as the parakeet is on your finger say softly, but also firmly, "step up" - or similar.. Don't startle it. If you say this every time when she or he gets on your finger then soon you should be able to say "up" and the parakeet will hop on.It may respond by either flying off your hand or being brave and stepping up onto your hand. More often than not it is the first option but be persistent. Move on to the next step when your parakeet will step up on your hand and sit there with comfort.

As soon as the parakeet is on your finger say sof
    Bri060492

Answer by Bri060492 at 12:27 AM on May. 16, 2013

• soon as the parakeet is on your finger say softly, but also firmly, "step up" - or similar.. Don't startle it. If you say this every time when she or he gets on your finger then soon you should be able to say "up" and the parakeet will hop on.

Move your finger around slowly. By now the bird should really trust you and it should soon be comfortable with your moving it around. Spend time picking it up and dropping it off at various perches around the cage.

Take the parakeet out of the cage (by letting it perch on your finger). Remember that it has spent a long time inside the cage and will be understandably scared. This may take a few days.

Keep the doors and windows closed so your bird doesn't escape.
    Practice the previous steps until your parakeet is very comfortable. It should soon be no trouble getting him or her out of the cage.
    Start to talk to the bird. Use a gentle, quiet voice.
    Bri060492

Answer by Bri060492 at 12:28 AM on May. 16, 2013

• Don't move suddenly or make any loud noises.
    Allow the bird to sit on other parts of your body. This includes the head, knee, arm etc. You can train him to sit anywhere as long as you take things very, very slow so your bird feels safe. So just take your time!

hope this helped

sorry for spamming your post lol.
    Bri060492

• Mine are the same way. I've heard it helps if you let them out of the cage and let them sit on a play area on top of the cage. It has to be scary when you're all safe in the cage and something ten times your size approaches you. My one boy,Petey,will sit on my finger once he's out of the cage,it's just getting him out that's the issue.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:59 PM on May. 15, 2013

• I might try that, I've got nothing to lose right! It's just my son and I, and we don't have a very active house so I'm just confused at why they are so terrified when we go near them. I try to avoid getting to close to the cage because it scares them so bad, but maybe I need to start giving them more attention so they get used to it!
    _whisper_

Comment by _whisper_ (original poster) at 5:15 PM on May. 15, 2013

• The blanket idea sounds good and I'd also get them used to different sounds. Play soft music, then gradually switch to other kinds of music. It might even keep them entertained. I know this sounds odd, but I would also try standing there and staring at them on a regular basis. Well you don't have to stare but just stand there very still. Try to talk to them softly to get them used to you and your voice. It will take patience to get them used to all the new sounds and sights. If all else fails, you can hire a bird trainer to calm them down.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 9:57 PM on May. 15, 2013

• How old are the birds? Have they been through trauma in the past? Believe it or not, they remember. It might help to place the cage in a corner where it can only be approached from one or two directions.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:57 PM on May. 26, 2013