Term Limits for Elected Officials. Do you agree or disagree?

When voters abolished term limits for President Hugo Chávez over the weekend, that got me to thinking about US Presidential Term Limits.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/world/americas/17venez.html?_r=1&ref=world

Would you support measures to abolish US Presidential term limits?
Bill Clinton was all for doing away with this law in 2003.
http://www.tonyrogers.com/humor/clinton_termlimits.htm

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• no, I don't want them abolished, I want them expanded to include congress
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I want to ENACT term limits for Congress!!!!! Stop making a career out of sucking this country dry! Go get a real job after 3 terms for congressmen and 2 terms for senators and see how much government will change!
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 2:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• lol.. forgive the Clinton weblink. It was all I could find... Let me see if I can find something more reputable... lol...
    http://www.wspa.com/spa/social_networking/blogs/amy_wood/article/no_term_limits_for_president/13880/

I think term limits should remain 2 terms. No change. I have heard reporters state that Obama is for doing away with the term limit, but I haven't seen any direct quotes from him.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Term limits that I would like to see is for the Seanate and House...20-30-40 years in a seat. Presidental 4yrs two terms I am fine with that...Just the lifelong seat of some congressman and women. Makes them a little to big for their britches!
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I am absolutely for term limits for all levels of elected officials. I'm no historian but from what I have read of the founders I don't believe they didn't intend for this country to be run by career politicians.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 2:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• No.
    And Venezuela is not the only country were they did change time limits. It happened in Russia too.
    Anonymous

• Congress SHOULD have term limits. The problem, in order to draft and get it passed, we need Congress' to support it. LOL.. Doubt that.. If only the PEOPLE could have a say and enact a law to reform Congress.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I don't believe they didn't intend for this country to be run by career politicians.

They were also seriously opposed to political parties, but we've really dropped the ball on that one.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• eh, Clinton wanted it. I remember when Rove suggested it for Bush about 6 months after 9/11 (yes, ~3 years before the next election).

I am so for term limits it is scary. Congress should HAVE to have them. They are completely removed from new ideas and what it is like to be a citizen.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 2:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• They were also seriously opposed to political parties, but we've really dropped the ball on that one.

In fact, they predicted it would be the downfall of democracy.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2009