NH city sues parking meter 'Robin Hood' group

Garret Ean, who is involved with Free Keene and other Free State groups, is one of six people named in a lawsuit filed by Keene. Ean and his group of friends call themselves Robin Hood of Keene. They walk the city streets with rolls of dimes and fill parking meters that are about to expire.

"We found that people really appreciate it when you save them from a ticket when you fill their meters," Ean said.

But in its lawsuit, the city accused the group of harassing officers and interfering with their work.

Ean's group records its time on the streets and posts the videos online. In the videos, two or three people can often be seen following the enforcement officers and recording as they look for expired meters.

The city said one enforcement officer suffered stress and anxiety from the group's actions and even experienced heart palpitations.

"I'm not trying to cause anybody medical issues," Ean said. "I feel it's unfortunate if that is the case. I hope there is some way that can be alleviated for him, but I know myself personally, I have been nothing but positive and trying to keep a good demeanor with all of the enforcers."

The lawsuit asks that members of the group stay at least 50 feet away from enforcement officers.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/keene-accuses-robin-hood-group-of-harassment/-/9857858/20147696/-/7ix074/-/index.html#ixzz2TOKq4Zaz

Think the law suit is pathetic? Or justified? I think if the meter cop freaks out over people putting money in meters to help someone not get a ticket is having "health problems" because of it then they need a new job. 

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 3:33 PM on May. 15, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think it's not about the money in the meters... it's the fact that they are stalking the enforcement officers in gangs. They go around with cameras in their faces, waiting for then while in the bathroom. They are harassing the shit out some of them basically.  If they were just putting money in the meters there wouldn't be much of an issue.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/22253067/2013/05/14/robin-hoods-of-keene-pay-it-forward-to-parking-meters

http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/keene-accuses-robin-hood-group-of-harassment/-/9848876/20151314/-/4sbxwiz/-/index.html

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:02 PM on May. 15, 2013

• I'd be interested to hear the part we're not hearing - as in, is the officer's job at risk when they aren't writing any tickets, whether it's an outright threat or an implied one from TPTB?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:35 PM on May. 15, 2013

• How exactly is someone putting dimes in a meter stressful to an enforcement officer? Sounds to me like someone has other issues they need to address.

I've always thought that whole "you can't put money in a meter if it's not your car" thing was stupid. If I want to do a kind deed for someone and keep them from getting a ticket, or they want to do so for me, what's the big deal? It's not hurting anyone.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:39 PM on May. 15, 2013

• I was going to say the same thing Crafty. This particular article has left a lot of the complaints out. The group in general is doing a nice thing by paying the meters. It is the harassment along with it that is the problem.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:35 PM on May. 15, 2013

• If it's keeping a parking officer from meeting a quota that depends entirely on the actions of others, the quota is unfair.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:09 PM on May. 15, 2013

• Is there a quota system??? It's a local story here... I haven't heard that part.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:56 PM on May. 15, 2013

• "Is there a quota system???"

i know here (OKC) there is...and we were the first city to have them (sorry just had to add that haha)

i would assume if the city felt the need to sue them to keep them away from the meter maids then the Robin Hood group isn't innocent. the city would just enact a new law making it illegal to pay other ppl's meters if they were just concerned with losing out on the money.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:43 PM on May. 15, 2013

• I think it's the whole, they need to met their quota or lose their job that is freaking metor patrol out and the city is upset because they aren't racking in as much money for parking fines since they started doing the "Robin Hood" deal.
    LostSoul88

Comment by LostSoul88 (original poster) at 3:40 PM on May. 15, 2013