Would you lie if your boss told you to?

I work for an optometrist. When I was fixing a patients glasses I flaked the lens. I brought them to the Dr. and told him what I did. He looked at it and said when you give them back to her tell her you noticed that the lens was flaked. I told him I was not going to lie to her when I knew I did it. He said excuse me, I told him I would bring her back to his dispensing chair and he can tell her, he said no. So to avoid and argument I just brought the glasses back to the lady not saying anything. What would you have done?? I feel horrible that I ruined her lens, but if he wasent going to order her a new on what was I going to do? The lady did not notice it but still. Would you have lied to her?

heatmac4

Asked by heatmac4 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would have done what you did and I also would
    see your boss
    in a different light.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• What would he have done if the women noticed and knew you were lying? My MIL would deffinently know the condition of her lenses, its like jewelry to her.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• As a glasses wearer since 4 yrs yres old..I can't imagine NOT noticing. If you had lied to me I would have been livid. I also would not have left until the lens was replaced or I was compensated in some way. Your boss is a dishonest, unethical human being. I would look for a new job. I am a nurse so my level of culpability is different. I personally could have never lied to a patient.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• tough call. We all know what the right answer is, but I'm sure alot of us would lie to her like your boss said (even if nobody will admit it!)
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 3:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Your optometrist needs to be reported to the ethics committee. Even they have to be held to certain standards as physicians do. All licensed and certified medical practitioners do. And it is your ethical obligation to be sure that this gets reported.
    I don't mean to be rude, but I work in the medical field and in both of my degrees, legal and moral ethics were shoved down our throats. You are at fault as much as he is if you ignore it.
    Best wishes.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Do you have an office manager you could go to instead? If so, see that person next and perhaps find a new job w/ an honest doc. If he'd screw a customer he'd screw you too.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2009