Should I medicate my 7 year old due to depression?

I am new to CafeMom, so this is my first post ever, please take it easy...Noobie!

Obviously our society has been over medicating children for even minor issues like being "too hyperactive". They're children, of course they're hyper, we have just become old & slow lol. Now my daughter has already had to deal with too much in her little 7 years of life from a nasty divorce, abuse by a ex-boyfriend, & an absent biological father that comes in & out of her life only when I'm yelling at him for not talking to her more often. Now my husband & I stay as positive as possible around our children (also have a 4 yo son) we rarely discuss problems in front of them & never have disagreements in front of them. Now my family has a history of not only depression, but I have a borderline personality disorder & have been taking medication for it for years. My mother, & sister both have the same issues, so Ik its not just an "in my head thing". We are currently on a waiting list to have my DD see a renowned therapist in the area next month who does wonders with young children so Ik that will help a lot.
But my fear is that she is already expressing the same signs I did as a young child. My mother chose to not medicate me until it was my choice (18), which also led to not getting the real help I desperately needed to straighten my head; so many incidents occurred that could have been prevented. I do not want to my daughter to start feeling the same way as I did & not be able to understand what's going on because the things in her head arnt exactly right. Obviously she's 7, so she's not going to understand a lot, but she is very intelligent for her age & already ahead in school. Its her emotional state of being that has been compromised already & the effects of our family history are already showing. Should I request to have her put on a low dosage of medication like an anti-depressant? I fear I will get the stigma of one of these mom's who over medicate they're child. (Ik there are reasons for moms to medicate they're children, but there are obviously cases where its just not necessary, not bashing at all)
Being 7 her emotional areas in her brain are still developing, so I don't want anything to harm her, but I also know that the signs she is showing will lead to her eventually trying to harm herself, & becoming detached from people compromising her personality development. (Self esteem, interactions with others, etc) Please help, I already know that disorders like mine are argued over & over that its an "all in your head" thing, but I know the difference of who I am when Im on the medication...clear & rational; when Im not its a totally different person...highly emotional, suicidal, paranoid, & not at all the type of person I want around my children.

Help please, thank you!

Inked.Mom

Asked by Inked.Mom at 6:20 PM on May. 15, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd try therapy first unless your doctor specifically said something. There are natural things you can try first like bananas.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:25 PM on May. 15, 2013

• What does Noobie mean?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:25 PM on May. 15, 2013

• I will look into the natural remedies of bananas, thank you! & Noobie means I'm new, sorry...I also play video games so sometimes the lingo spills over in other conversation.
    Inked.Mom

Comment by Inked.Mom (original poster) at 6:31 PM on May. 15, 2013

• Therapy and maybe try yoga or some other form of exercise.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:34 PM on May. 15, 2013

• All you can do is wait and see what the doctor says.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 6:35 PM on May. 15, 2013

• I would try the therapy but also getting her out and exercising with help a lot. Read "Last Child in the Woods". It talks about Nature Deficit Disorder. My son has ADHD and while we do medicate, it's not the only thing that we do to help keep it under control. He also does therapy, exercise, and gets plenty of time in nature. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:55 PM on May. 15, 2013

• This is something you should be speaking to her Dr. or Child Psychologist about. Did medication help you?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:31 PM on May. 15, 2013

• I would try to find someone who will get to the root of the depression and who will help her get past it. Just from what you've told us here, it doesn't look like it will be hard to find. Sensitive children don't handle trauma well at all, and she has had quite a lot of it for her short seven years. There may be some family history that comes into play, but I would not accept that as the first diagnosis. Having been through quite a lot of this kind of stuff myself, I assure you that it is quite possible to move past it and not to have to do it with drugs. Finding the right kind of help is key, and it will take some diligence on your part. But it is out there, and I would look until I found it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:35 PM on May. 15, 2013

• She means newby! To young I think. She is still developing, growing. Theropy first.

Answer by louise2 at 7:50 PM on May. 15, 2013

• Sounds like she's too young to start on meds. You're absolutely right to recognize that her brain is still developing. It would be okay to start her on cognitive behavioral therapy though. Who knows? If it works, then she might never need medication. BPD is built upon bad cognitive habits. A therapist can teach her to be more mindful, talk through her emotions, recognize emotions, and get her on the path to good habits in processing information. Also some of the substances in those medications are found naturally in vegetables and fruits. Give her a chance to try out the therapy first.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 9:43 PM on May. 15, 2013