Is it just me, or are childrens clothing...

Ever since we had our first child I noticed that when buying clothes, they were never the size she was suppose to be in. When she was one she was in 18-36. She's always been in a size or two bigger. Now she's about to turn 3 in April and she's been in a girls small...and now were getting ready to buy a girls medium. She's not even big or heavy. And the same with our son who is 10 months and he's wearing 18 months. And we're getting ready to buy him 2t. I really think that the sizing system of clothing for children and infants needs to be updated, I know it's not a hassle to just buy the next size. But when it says a certain weight and height and they don't fit your child who is that size...then there's something wrong. Has anyone else been having this issue?

ShiasMom

Asked by ShiasMom at 2:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• YES MY SON IS 2 1/2 AND WEARS 5T SHIRTS AND 4T PANTS...LOOK AT MY PROFILE HE NOT FAT OR HEAVY AT ALL..HE WEIGHS 40LBS JUST A STOCKY LIL GUY.
    TSSN88

Answer by TSSN88 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• US sizes are totally strange. When my daughter was 8months old she was wearing a 18-24months dress/shirt/pants.

I could always freak out when i buy clothes for our DD in the states. because they are NEVER the size that you need. Its annoying. And i really dont know where these companies get their meassurements (sp?) from.

its very easy in the country where we live right now. baby and kids cloth are meassured in "cm"... so if my baby is between 86-92cm's tall, i might want to get size 92. simple, easy. way to go :)

but in the states i always have our dd to try the cloth on before i buy stuff :(
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think it depends on the child. My 4 yr old is in size small girls clothing. She isnt fat or anything either. But my youngest son is 8, almost 9, and hes always been exactly the right size for clothes. When he was 6 mths, he was in 6 mths, 9 mths, 9 mths, now hes 8 and in size 8. So I guess it depends on the child.

Answer by gemgem at 2:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• not all brands are equal either. you can get a size 24 in two brands and they can be smaller or bigger than each other. I dont think they regulate the sizes of kids clothes at all. for the nb-5t they need to size by weight not months of age, and all brands need to do this together. cause its just fusterating.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 2:46 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My daughter was always and still is right on.

mrobertson. We live in germany. I always wondered where they got the numbers on their sizes from. lol. it never occured to me that it was by height. lol
    Brandie_xo

Answer by Brandie_xo at 3:02 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My daughter has always been in the "proper" size but she's also always been at the 25-40% mark for both height and weight for her age.
    But I've noticed how different some brands are. She has a really cut "I'm Two!" t-shirt that she'll never wear... it looks like a size 6 even though the tag says 2T. She also has a couple of 2T shirts that I can't get on her anymore.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Everyday... You can go to five diff stores and get the same size and they will all be diff... Im going insane........ But i do have boys; they go through them fast...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It really drives me nuts when i buy two things made by the same company, in the same style, the same size but when i get home one will fit the baby perfect and the other is either to big or to small.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• oh yeah.. there's no standard as to what measurements coordinate with what size. It's all up to the manufacturers. They're not consistent at all. I do tend to find that certain brands run bigger or smaller than others, but there are still variations even within the companies!! It's all about what numbers the people who are sewing these things use, and everyone is different!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 6:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My boys wore double or triple their ages from the very beginning. My youngest was wearing 18 months when he was 6 months old. (his was more girth than anything else, though LOL CHUNK)

Sizes are based on "averages" across the states. The closer the kid is to "average" the closer size/age will match.

My 5 year old is wearing 6/7's. (size 13 shoe)
    My 3 year old is in 5T's or 4/5's (size 11 shoe)
    My 2 year old is in 4T's or 5T's (size 9 shoe)

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2009