Buying your teens condoms? adult content

My sister was over saturday night and my niece texted her to remind her to stop and by condoms on the way home. It was kind of like one of those TMI moments for me but my sister said she's just happy she's being safe. My kids are still young so I haven't had to deal with that yet. How do you handle it with your teenagers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on May. 16, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I would buy condoms for them if they ask. Kids will have sex even if we tell them not too. I would be happy knowing they want to use protection.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:03 AM on May. 16, 2013

• I think that buying them condoms is like giving your permission but at the same time you can't really stop them if they want to have sex they are going to and its best they be safe when they do. I would sit my child down and explain that I don't condone their having sex, I would prefer they wait until they are older, out of school and more mature, I would make sure they have all the facts and know that they can come to me with questions and god forbid a pregnancy, that I would be open, caring and supportive no matter what. I would say if you really think you are ready, even though i dont approve, I want you to be safe from pregnancy and disease so yes I will buy the condoms but please talk to me before you and your bf/gf decide to do anything so that we can discuss it and make sure you are doing the right think for you, then i would hope that they have enough info to make the right choices.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 9:06 AM on May. 16, 2013

• My 16 year old is sexually active and yes she tells me when she needs more condoms and I do make sure I get them. I'm not ready to be a grandma yet and I just want her protected.
    GarysWife1991

Answer by GarysWife1991 at 9:07 AM on May. 16, 2013

• I don't WANT to buy them for my boys (who are 12 and 9 right now), but if the alternative is being called Grandma before I'm even 40, I guess I would do it. I would rather my sons not have sex at all until they're at least adults, but if they aren't going to wait, I at least want the peace of mind that they are being safe. If the only way I get that peace of mind is by buying the condoms for them, then I guess I would suck it up and do it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:11 AM on May. 16, 2013

• I would hate the idea of buying condoms on demand. I want an open dialogue with my girls but, I'd rather just buy them and have them appear in their rooms, instead of being reminded to buy them, KWIM? I get that kids will have sex but, as a parent, I still can't be like "here's the condoms for your date". I'd rather not be asked or told to do so. I'd rather just hand them condoms & then give the embarrassing protection speech. That sounds more like parenting to me, where the other is more big sister/friend like.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:14 AM on May. 16, 2013

• I don't want my kids having sex prior to marriage but will talk to them about it. If they're still determined to do it then I'll take them to the store and they can buy their own. If they feel they're old enough to have sex then they are old enough to go and buy their own protection. It will come out of their pockets as well. I know many parents will disagree and say what if they don't have the money and my response is then they should keep their pants zipped until they do. A child will cost them much more then a pack of condoms and they need to realize that.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:34 AM on May. 16, 2013

• I have many more years to worry about this, but I have no idea. I do agree with 3libras. I'd rather buy a big box and put them where my child can access than have him/her call me and say "don't forget the condoms". If it were my daughter, I'd probably also force feed her BC pills every morning. If she's having sex while under my roof I know I can't exactly stop it but you best believe I will be making that my responsibility.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:43 AM on May. 16, 2013

• I would absolutely get them for mine if they asked.
    My daughter asked for birth control at 17 and we went that week and got it for her.

I do not want her life ruined- or made harder by a child she did not plan for / is not ready for
    and I do NOT want to start over with parenting.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:01 AM on May. 16, 2013

• My husband and I reared 3 children and we never bought a single condom for any of them nor any other form of birth control, for that matter. Instead, we taught them that sex was to be saved for marriage, that it was God's special gift to be shared with that one person chosen to be a life-time partner, and that they should never give it to anyone else. Wonder of wonders!! is that each one of them believed us and all three are now very happily married. The bonus was that they have never had to worry about STD's nor unwanted pregnancies nor have they had to endure any of the heartache that comes with breaking up with multiple people.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:07 AM on May. 16, 2013

• No. If they are old enough to have sex then they are old enough to go to the store and buy them.

Answer by missanc at 10:28 AM on May. 16, 2013