Would you hire a transgender babysitter?

Say you are interviewing for a babysitter/nanny. You find a woman who seems like a dream come true, she has excellent references, good credentials, is well educated, has CPR and first aide and you love her personality.
She is totally a Mrs. Doubtfire...literally. At the end of the interview after you are pretty sure she has the job she tells you that she wants to be up front and honest before you make your decision, she says that she is a transsexual. Was born a man but always felt as though she were a woman trapped in the wrong body. She has been living as a woman for some time now, is on hormone therapy and plans to have the reassignment surgery. Knowing the new information, does it change your decision to hire her?

PS. the Mrs. Doubtfire reference was meant to be humorous not offensive. I know that Mrs. Doubtfore was actually the father dressing as a woman to see his kids and does not by definition make her a transsexual.

AnonNdrag

Asked by AnonNdrag at 9:26 AM on May. 16, 2013 in Just for Fun

• If he "plans" to have "reassignment surgery," that means he is still a man who is confused about his sexual identity

Nope. They have to have lots of therapy and hormones and all kinds of things before the surgery can be done. It's got nothing at all to do with being confused. It's not an overnight procedure. You should learn about the process before you make claims like that one.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:21 AM on May. 16, 2013

• If she is the most qualified for the job and she meshes well with the children, then yes she would have the job. I would also appreciate the upfront honesty.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 9:44 AM on May. 16, 2013

• If I'd already decided to hire her, I don't really see that changing my decision. If she admitted to having done time in prison for murder, that would change my mind. But admitting something that personal is really her own choice, so I can't see it being an issue for me.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:31 AM on May. 16, 2013

No. It does not. Unlike the boob job where all you need is a way to pay for the procedure transgenders have to go through years of therapy and living as the opposite sex before surgery

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:16 AM on May. 16, 2013

• I don't see why I wouldn't hire her if she were the most qualified person for the job.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 9:28 AM on May. 16, 2013

• it wouldn't bother me at all, as long as they were well qualified to watch my children.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:34 AM on May. 16, 2013

• I sure would hire her. I have several friends that are transgendered, doesn't bother me one bit.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:46 AM on May. 16, 2013

• I don't see that information changing my decision. It's hard to find good help.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:49 AM on May. 16, 2013

• If he "plans" to have "reassignment surgery," that means he is still a man who is confused about his sexual identity. And, it could also be a set-up for a sexual discrimination lawsuit, so no, I would not hire this person. Even then, it would most likely mean that nobody can be hired because now, I'm in a position of no-win!! A lot of this decision would be directly tied to my spiritual convictions based on Biblical teachings, and I would now be in a position where I am forced to choose between obeying the laws of the state versus the laws as stated for me by God. When those are in conflict, I am instructed to "obey God rather than man." So, even if I needed to work and leave my children with someone, I would now be in a position of having to figure out another way to provide for them, which I wholly believe God would provide.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:02 AM on May. 16, 2013

• If they are the most qualified after checking references, I'd def. hire her. In the end all that matters is that your children are safe, & well cared for by her. She'd get points for being honest & upfront as well, even if it was just to protect herself in the future....
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 10:09 AM on May. 16, 2013