Would you ever leave your young child outside alone?

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20130515/ARTICLES/130519729/1010/sports?p=1&tc=pg

Mikaela Lynch
Searchers late Wednesday morning found the body of 9-year-old Mikaela Lynch in the murky waters of Cache Creek, not far from where she disappeared, said Clearlake Police Chief Craig Clausen.

“It's difficult to be standing here saying this,” said Clausen, who was joined at a press conference by Clearlake police officers and search team leaders.

A dive team found her body in the creek, close to the home where her family had been vacationing over the Mother's Day weekend.

With the fourth day of searching underway, her parents Wednesday had been planning to make their first public comments since the ordeal began. But the noon conference was quickly changed to a somber session announcing the end of the search.

Chief Clausen was visibly upset, speaking quietly and tersely and fiddling with his fingers as he talked to reporters.

He offered few details about precisely where the body was found, saying he believed it was found by local dive teams.

He said he did not know whether divers had searched the area previously, but water rescue personnel said earlier in the week the water was so muddy and full of debris that divers had to blindly feel their way along the bottom.

Clausen said there was no indication how long she had been in the water, but he said there was no immediate indication of foul play.

“We'll continue out the investigation to the final closure,” he said.

He said the family had requested privacy and did not plan to make any statements to the press.

If you go to the full story it states she has a mind of a 1 yr old. This breaks my heart and it my thoughts go out to the family but I still can't wrap my head around why anyone would have allowed her outside unsupervised (being with her little brother doesn't count). I don't allow my children outside unsupervised and if i have to go in for a brief minute I can see them from the window.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 10:37 AM on May. 16, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• With the mind of a 1 year old then no I would not. If she had the mind of a 9 year old then yes.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:40 AM on May. 16, 2013

• A kid with the mind of a 1 year old, no way would I leave them unsupervised. My heart breaks for that family.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:41 AM on May. 16, 2013

• Ive seen too many stories like this
    The cynic in me says not an accident
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:47 AM on May. 16, 2013

• MY kids, sure. They know better and the nearest body of water is a mile down the road. An autistic child HELL NO and certainly not one with the cognitive abilities of a 1 year old.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:01 AM on May. 16, 2013

• No, but I have a child with autism and tons of friends with autistic children, I know how easily they can slip away even if you are in the yard simply because you turn around to get something, wave to a neighbor, etc. It happens. I have friends of mine whose autistic children have run away and it's frightening!

Answer by missanc at 11:14 AM on May. 16, 2013

• I let my 6 year old daughter go out in our yard alone BUT she knows to stay in the inner fence unless someone is out there with her. we live on 20 acres out in the boonies. my son isn't allowed to go out unless dh or I go with him (he's 3, almost 4, but not at all mature enough to go out alone) this is sad...those parents are idiots. I wouldn't let my kids go out unsupervised anywhere i'm not familiar with
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:41 AM on May. 16, 2013

• That poor little girl.. I feel for her family.

My daughter is 7 and she does not play alone outside.. ever.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 10:45 AM on May. 16, 2013

• I would allow my 6 yr old to be outside in a fenced backyard by herself but, she has the mind of a 8 or 9 yr old. If my 3 yr old was with her, I'd have to watch. So, at 9, with the mind of a 9 yr old: yes. But, not with the mind of a 1 yr old.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:46 AM on May. 16, 2013

• Not with a child with a mind of a one year old.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:46 AM on May. 16, 2013

• I would let my kid if they were 9 and had the mind of a 9 year old. Her, definitely not. That's a very poor parenting choice and I'm sure if she was truly abducted by a stranger that the parents are already kicking themselves with grief.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:10 AM on May. 16, 2013