Dilemma, the names I like are popular in the USA but not my state.

I'm not crazy about naming my child a name that's popular But...,

I like the names Lucy, Caroline, Victoria, Eleanor and Penelope

These names are all in the top 150 in the u.s. but the state I live in they aren't as popular. There were only 7 Penelope's born in my state and 11 Lucy's, 22 Victoria's. I'm not for certain on the others but I know they aren't in my states top 100 which was released today.

Question is should I be more worried about the fax that nationally they are popular or use them and just be happy they aren't popular regionally?

Rockabella

Asked by Rockabella at 11:58 AM on May. 16, 2013 in Baby Names

• I understand you, OP. I have an Eliza & a Gemma. Not too common, underused in the US (not not in the UK). LOL
    Some think that Gemma is too "out there", other's really like it.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:17 PM on May. 16, 2013

• Why all the concern anymore over whether or not names are popular? I never worried about whether or not my kids names were popular. I picked names I liked and named them those names. If you like a name, use it. If you don't like it, don't use it. Don't base your choices on whether it's on a list or not.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:01 PM on May. 16, 2013

• I understand what you mean. The one who called you vain is a bully, so just ignore her.

I have a 3 year old DD named Sophia and didn't bother to look at the popularity of the name. There are currently 3 Sophias in her preschool right now. Oy vey.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 12:29 PM on May. 16, 2013

• Why the hell does "popularity' of a name matter anyways? iF you want it to be "unique" just spell it in a dumbass way like everyone else that is trying too hard.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:07 PM on May. 16, 2013

• ^^^ I get the "popular" thing, having had the 4th most popular girl name in the US the day I was born. And, having had friends with the top 3 names.

The trick is to not be too common but, not too weird. And, misspellings are just wretched and make the parents look dumb.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:10 PM on May. 16, 2013

• I avoided popular names, too. Even if it's not in your state, who knows if you or your child will still live there into adulthood.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:27 PM on May. 16, 2013

• It shouldn't matter whether they're popular or not. All that counts is that you like the name you choose.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 12:38 PM on May. 16, 2013

• You're very welcome. Good luck with your name choosing! Pick a good one, they're stuck with it forever! :)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:50 PM on May. 16, 2013

• I use names I like, I don't care how popular they are.
    Momtoela

Answer by Momtoela at 12:10 PM on May. 16, 2013

• They're called nicknames and yes, even teachers will refer to a child by one if it is requested (the teachers actually prefer it) so they don't have to call out "Amanda C. Amanda S. Amanda J." in class all the time as it may cause confusion. But a name isn't something one gets "Sick" of hearing. It's a name.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:15 PM on May. 16, 2013