How can I break pregnancy news to my Mother/Family?

I recently found out I may be pregnant. I've only been with the Father officially for a few weeks but I've known him for a very long time, we only just now made our relationship a relationship. My mother hasn't really got a chance to meet him or get to know him yet. She's very controlling and constantly tells me I need to never have sex, never have babies and never get married. I'm 22, I'm currently living at home, I work part time and am starting my fourth year in college in August, depending on the situation. My boyfriend is looking into getting back into school and just became a manager at his job, so he'll be making decent money. He's moving into a new apartment the beginning of June. We have really intense feelings for each other and he's supportive and positive that this will work out. He's the best. If I am, I'll be moving in with him. I'm just not sure how to tell my Mother about this news without her going ballistic.

KayDollieBee

Asked by KayDollieBee at 12:15 PM on May. 16, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Find out if you really are pregnant first.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:18 PM on May. 16, 2013

• First, don't tell her anything until you are sure. No reason to upset her if there is nothing going on. After that, you just have to tough it out. You are still living at home so it isn't like you can hide it from her forever. Make sure you already know what you are going to do about it and have a plan in place in case she kicks you out. Good luck.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:18 PM on May. 16, 2013

• Because of the potential for drama, I would personally hold off for 3 months... get through your first trimester so you know that you have a viable pregnancy (God forbid you tell her then mis-carry). In this time, you can make sure bf and mom meet and get to know eachother. Once you know baby is locked and loaded, then I would take her to lunch or dinner and break the news.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:19 PM on May. 16, 2013

• You don't "break the news" until you're sure you're pregnant. Then you wait for 3 months to decide what to do about the pregnancy (what's the point in having her go ballistic because you're pregnant and then going through it a second time because you've decided to abort, for instance). Get all your ducks lined up. There is absolutely no rush and no reason to blurt out the information to your mother.

Breathe :) I know you feel you have to get it off your chest but take your time and make sure you're ready when you tell her.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 12:45 PM on May. 16, 2013

• Agree with above posters and... you are 22... not 16, who cares what drama she causes. Make a plan and stick to it and don't involve your mother/ family.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:55 PM on May. 16, 2013

• I agree with the others...make sure the pregnancy is viable before you break the news. You are a 22 year old woman so breaking the news will be tough, but easier since you aren't 16. Have a bag prepared just in case she tells you to leave, then go. She will either come around and support you or be a boob and miss out on this time in your life. Either way, there are much worse things than this....good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:56 PM on May. 16, 2013

• I was 17 when I broke the news to my dad that I was pregnant. I just went up to him and handed him the proof of pregnancy signed by my doctor and told him that I was sorry for putting him through all this stress. It didn't go over well because he kept screaming that it was all his fault, but after a few minutes things calmed down and my entire pregnancy my dad was there for me.
    HuntersMomma362

Answer by HuntersMomma362 at 12:39 PM on May. 19, 2013

• Wait, like others said. Then just tell your mother, and she can either be supportive or uninvolved. Nothing in between. I did, though I was much older than twenty-two, and my mother chose to be uninvolved. Her loss.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:35 AM on May. 26, 2013

• Thanks for all the comments. I'm fairly certain I am pregnant, I'm just waiting until my appointment to confirm and make sure everything is all right. I feel that since I am 22, my Mother shouldn't be so harsh on me but she still has the tendency to treat me like I am an irresponsible twelve year old child which can get annoying. She also keeps avoiding the meeting of my boyfriend, which I'm trying to push for them to meet at least three or four times before we sit down to tell her, but if she keeps avoiding it then she will just have to deal with that when the time comes to tell the news. I was planning on waiting until after the appointment to say anything to anyone, especially her. My boyfriend already wants me to move in with him in his new apartment so once I go to my appointment and everything is fine, we will be deciding on a day to tell both of our families together and figure out a move in date!
    KayDollieBee

Comment by KayDollieBee (original poster) at 5:16 PM on May. 26, 2013