What do I do with my child now?

My daughter did not get accepted into the "highly capable program" this year. She was in the program last year however. So this year she will attend regular class, and this will involve her repeating classes she's already taken. What do I do now? She's bored as it is. I can't find any guidelines in the program where this situation is addressed. Also, how can help her not feel incapable now?

GCsMama

Asked by GCsMama at 1:36 PM on May. 16, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Why didn't she get in the program this year?

Answer by louise2 at 1:41 PM on May. 16, 2013

• Test scores were not high enough. Apparently the kids are tested each year.
    GCsMama

Comment by GCsMama (original poster) at 1:46 PM on May. 16, 2013

• Ask the school for ideas. Maybe she's eligible to skip a grade?
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:05 PM on May. 16, 2013

• Can she retest? Maybe she was having an off day.

If there's absolutely no option of her getting in, I would suggest talking to the school. Explain what you said here, that she's already bored and if she's repeating the same classes, she's only going to be more bored. Ask if they have any recommendations for avoiding that, or if there's anything the teacher can do in class to help out - extra work or something.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:05 PM on May. 16, 2013

• Call her guidance counselor.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:14 PM on May. 16, 2013

• I've thought about the skipping-a-grade approach, but I worry that would have a negative effect on her social development. I think I would prefer not to try for a retest (too stressful for her, and I don't want to be in this same spot again next year). But if I let this go, she's separated from her friends, she'll have to repeat classes, she can't help but feel like she's failed at something, and I worry that she's been branded incapable (at least in her mind). It strikes me odd the that the program does not address what to do in this situation. Curious if anyone else has been here.
    GCsMama

Comment by GCsMama (original poster) at 2:21 PM on May. 16, 2013

• there are times in a childs life that they hit a stand still,they do this in academic as well as other areas . I would be careful no not push her into another grade unless everyone is on board. Some kids excel for years at something leaving their ae group in the dust then all of the sudden they are the ones hanging back just a bit. it is normal.
    answersjunkie

Answer by answersjunkie at 2:57 PM on May. 16, 2013

• Thanks for the advice!
    GCsMama

Comment by GCsMama (original poster) at 4:20 PM on May. 16, 2013

• try to maybe get ideas from school I mean like PartyGalAnne said call the guidance counselor maybe she/he has some ideas
    I would talk to the school maybe see if she could retake the test!!!!!!!!! talk to your daughter,try to get her mind off of it by doing things like shopping (if you have the money) or movie night or family night (just you and her)
    ravenclaw78

Answer by ravenclaw78 at 5:20 PM on May. 22, 2013