I have a BA in communications...if I want to go back to school...

where do I even start? Can I get another BA or do I get a masters next? My major is kind of a dead end now. I went for radio broadcasting but am very outdated (I was never able to obtain a career in that field since moving to a small town). I am interested in getting a forestry degree and becoming a forest ranger. But where would I even start since I already have 4 years of college completed (I graduated in 2004) ? thanks in advance!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 1:59 PM on May. 16, 2013 in Money & Work

• Best thing to do is go talk to someone at a college you want to go to.

Answer by louise2 at 2:00 PM on May. 16, 2013

• yeah that's a good idea! thanks!
    one lady did call the other day because I was interested in massage therapy. but her campus is 3 hours away.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 2:05 PM on May. 16, 2013

• i think you would only have to take the classes you need for the degree.
    and you can go for another bachelors, i know many people with multiple bachelors.. ! :/ good luck.
    mampanda0422

Answer by mampanda0422 at 2:11 PM on May. 16, 2013

• I think you can go for an Associates Degree in forestry, environmental science, forest management or some other related degree, you could always check with your local forest service and ask them for advice!!!
    Good Luck! This was always something thought I would like to do as well.

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:13 PM on May. 16, 2013

• my BS is in something different than what im currently getting my masters in. you can get a masters is anything, no matter what your bachelors is in, but you may have to do some pre-req classes. they're bachelors level courses in the field you're interested in...its usually about 12-18 hours (4-5 classes).

you can also get another bachelors and your gen ed's from your BA in communications will make it to where you should only have to take courses that fit your new degree. so its really up to you. go talk to someone at the school and they will make your decision clearer...at least they did for me.

good luck!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:15 PM on May. 16, 2013

• You can get a BA pertaining to forestry. Your base credits should could toward this degree without you having to retake them unless it has ben ages ago since you graduated and then they can get sticky.
    You can get as many BAs or BSs or Masters or Doctorates as you wish.
    You can double major.
    I would talk to the people in the forestry department and see what they would suggest with the goal of being hired.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:27 PM on May. 16, 2013

• I would say don't waste the time getting another bachelor's degree when you can just tweak the one you have. You can get certificates or attend seminars and workshops to "specialize" your degree to go into a new career, such as social media, public relations, search engine optimization writing, or event planning. You could even turn it into a full-time blog job about forestry topics if that is your current interest. You might also have better luck getting a master's degree. Usually, you can get a master's in a new field as long has you have 15-30 hours of specialized courses in that field. I'm surprised you can't find work. Communications is very flexible if you know how to work the angle.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:18 AM on May. 17, 2013

• hellokitty, it's the area I'm in which is depriving me of my career dreams! It's a small southern college town. Most of the people who grew up here have parents who got sucked into the black hole. I moved here 10 years ago and just....stayed lol. I have contacted my local college. They have a good nursing program and I saw they offer a nursing nutritional science degree. Along with my communications degree I could excel in a dietician career, public relations, maybe work for the government (booo lol).
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 9:21 PM on May. 18, 2013

• good idea
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 9:19 PM on May. 24, 2013