If married credit is seperate why do rentals charge a fee for each unmarried person or one fee for a married couple?

I never got that.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 3:16 PM on May. 16, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Depends on who and where you are. I have always ran into they charge per a person and they didn't have a married fee. They may just be discounting it so help save a person money and not want to go else where to a place with a cheaper rental fee
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:26 PM on May. 16, 2013

• In more cases then not it is to cover the cost of background checks (Or so one person can't apply and have his 4 friends move in too without a background check). They don't charge per person for married couples as it is less likely they will have random person's moving in without notice and the spouse is already listed on a background check as a know "affiliate"
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:06 PM on May. 16, 2013

• I think we have always been charged separately...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:26 PM on May. 16, 2013

• Renting what? I'm confused?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:02 PM on May. 16, 2013

• We each had to pay an 'application fee' of $50 each to hold our apt. THat has been pretty standard in any apt we have rented. The income requirements were different for married vs/ room mates. Married couples have to make 2.5X the rent and singles or room mates have to make 1.5X the rent- pre tax.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:46 PM on May. 16, 2013

• Each credit report costs the company a certain amount. When I was still doing this work it was $40.00 per request.
    Even if you requested the same person over and over.

However married couples a joined in their credit and so it is easier and less costly for the credit company to pull and they generally do not charge the separate fee.

Idividuals have no such connections in the systems and are pulled separately.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:15 PM on May. 16, 2013

• My dh and i were charged separately for a check on our histories when we rented our townhouse....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:03 PM on May. 16, 2013

• I've seen both as well. A lot of it is up to the company. The one fee will draw in married couple if they are trying to choose between two properties. And statistically speaking married couples a lot of time will stay longer at the property because they are more rooted in the community(families etc). then a single person.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:39 PM on May. 17, 2013

• That makes sense

It's usually 35 per person applying or 40 per married couple around here
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 3:55 PM on May. 17, 2013