Housewarming question..

So didn't know whether to put it here or in the home buyer section.. But my best friend whom I've know since we were 5, just bought a house. Worked super hard being a mom, stepmom, working and getting her teaching degree, and finally had enough to put down on a house. I'm so proud of her I can't even see straight! So I wanted to surprise her and tell her I want to throw her a housewarming.. I want to send her a cute box of goodies, including the custom stationary I bought her. But I want something cute to put in there that kind of explain how I want to do a party for her.. Just don't know what to say exactly. I was thinking putting in a sample invite maybe.. I don't know I just want it to mean a lot to her and be a big surprise. I guess I'm just super nervous she will be like WTF I don't want a party.. But she deserves it. I would do a full surprise but I want her to be able to decide if she wants to include her step children, or just make it an adult event and so she can do a registry. Any ideas?

swaney06

Asked by swaney06 at 3:37 PM on May. 16, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I don't know if this goes along with what you're thinking, but when I had my housewarming, my sister brought me a really cute waste basket and all of the items inside had a note on them. This is the gift I remember most of all.
    "Bread - So you never go hungry. Wine - So your life is always sweet. Salt - So there is always spice in your life. And a Candle - So you always have light.''

Except I despise sweet wine and she's a good sister and got me an awesome Cabernet. lol
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 3:57 PM on May. 16, 2013

• Maybe she doesn't want a house warming party at her new house with a lot of people in & out. I'd just give her a gift card from Home Depot or Lowes. That is a useful gift. Maybe a new coffee maker or toaster oven, new bath towels, or pretty wine glasses.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:05 PM on May. 16, 2013

• I wouldn't surprise her. Just tell her that you'd like to throw her a housewarming party and you'll do all the work but she just needs to decide on who to invite and when it's a good date to have it. The surprise can be in the activities you plan -- maybe some fun games like pictionary or a scavenger hunt around her house -- or in the gifts or in the food. Laughter and fun in a home is sometimes the best housewarming gift.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:00 AM on May. 17, 2013