I drastically increased my fruit & veggie intake in order to eat healthier and now I'm constipated. What should I do?

I don't want to stop the way I'm eating now but my intestines are so sore and I always feel like I have to go but can't!! What's the best thing to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on May. 16, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• If you want to stay on the healthy track, you should eat some prunes or other high fiber fruit. The cherry flavored ones are my favorite and I eat them despite my friends making fun of my advanced age. lol
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 3:52 PM on May. 16, 2013

• eat prunes. bananas, watermelon.
    Anonymous

• Add some raisins and prune juice, get more roughage (lettuce) it will help you shit
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:53 PM on May. 16, 2013

• all the above and increase water intake.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:55 PM on May. 16, 2013

• Fiber bars, prunes, activia. Lots of water.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 4:03 PM on May. 16, 2013

• Sounds like you are getting an overload of fiber, so I'm not sure more roughage will help you.

Drink lots and lots of water.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:36 PM on May. 16, 2013

• Cut down on the roughage. Drink more water. Stool softeners.
    angiec8420

Answer by angiec8420 at 5:00 PM on May. 16, 2013

• Keep up with the roughage, it's good for you. Until your body adjusts I suggest you use Colace.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:33 PM on May. 16, 2013

• Water water water. Back off of the added produce for a few days, and GRADUALLY increase it. Dramatic increases in fiber just BEG for GI distress, usually constipation. MORE fiber will only make things worse. (I'm a nursing student and nutrition junkie, BTW)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:23 AM on May. 19, 2013

• water! Lots of water! Your system is not used to all the goodness you are giving it, it will adjust, but drink loads of water until it does.

(btw, once it adjusts, going back to your old ways of eating will cause the same constipation! Our bodies adjust to our lifestyles)
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:27 PM on May. 20, 2013