Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think my sons father smokes pot around my son, what actions can I take to stop this?

I knew he was a pot smoker, then he quit for a while when he was with his ex. It's very easy to tell when he has/hasn't been smoking. Well, now he has a new girlfriend, and he dropped my son off today and his eyes were bloodshot red, and he gave me this stupid smirk he always does when he's high. I didn't say anything since my son was standing right there. So my question now is, what the hell can I do about this? I mean can I take him to court and request that he gets drug tested or do I need proof??

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on May. 16, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (9)
  • I'd test my child with a Drug Store drug test. If he is smoking around the child then the child is inhaling it too. Then I would call CPS & tell them the situation when he visits his father. Maybe someone from CPS can be at your home when he drops the child off & maybe they can call the Police too for DUI with a child in the car. Or have the Police there when he drops off the child anyway next time.

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:21 PM on May. 16, 2013

  • I wouldn't think he would be dumb enough to do it where my son can see. He knows our son tells mommy everything. But even so, STILL wrong.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:27 PM on May. 16, 2013

  • Have proof first but do not let your son be the one to get the proof for you.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:44 PM on May. 16, 2013

  • You could call a lawyer and ask.

    Answer by louise2 at 7:59 PM on May. 16, 2013

  • This is a tough one, as a pot smoker and living in a city where it's widely excepted I would still never in ten million years smoke near or in front of my child. I'm sure if you ask him to not do this to or in front of your child because it's dangerous maybe he will think twice and if he doesn't stop, there must be some king of endangerment law or something. The key here is communication.

    Answer by pinkparcel at 8:22 PM on May. 16, 2013

  • Prove it and then report it.

    Answer by maecntpntz219 at 10:23 PM on May. 16, 2013

  • Does your son know how to use mommy's camera phone????

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:22 AM on May. 17, 2013

  • You need to prove he is an unfit father, in many states in this day and age consuming pot for personal use is a misdemeanor often punishable by a fine, I do not think his use will be cause to stop the visits unless you can prove the harm being done.....

    Answer by older at 10:26 AM on May. 17, 2013

  • I would call your lawyer and see what can be done. If you have reason to believe that he is smoking while your son is under his care, I would think there is some way to have him tested. Yikes...good luck!

    Answer by khedy at 12:53 PM on May. 20, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.