Jasper is 4 years old and is becoming pretty much obsessed with his penis

He talks about it all the time day and night. I cant get him to keep his hands off of it. He says he loves it and all he wants to do is sit around and play with it. how normal is this and what would be a proper response to his behavior?

luckyme_213

Asked by luckyme_213 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Its very normal.
    Just tell him he can play with it and talk about it, but only in private.
    Anonymous

• Pretty normal. Time to talk boundaries. Like "playing with your penis is fine in your room alone, but people don't do that in public"-something like that.
    Anonymous

• My 3 yo can often be found lying down on his belly with his hands on his penis...generally it means he either needs to use the potty or he's tired. That said, we have tried to explain to him that its fine if he wants to hold/touch his penis, but that it is a private thing to do...and he can either stop or go to his room to have some time by himself. Everyone has said its perfectly normal...
    romanojm

Answer by romanojm at 4:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think it's funny to tell a kid it's okay to play with it. A normal kid doesn't sit around and play with his penis all day, so why would you encourage that? I know you are just saying to not make a big deal about it, but why encourage it? I don't sit around and play with myself all day and I would think my hubby was creepy if he did! I would just tell him to stop and give him something to do! :0)

Erin333

Answer by Erin333 at 10:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2009