Sick as a dog ...

Well, that 12-hour tummy bug turned out to be a lot bigger than I thought he was, the sneaky little sucker. I haven't kept anything down for a day and a half. There was no one who could babysit for me, so I've sucked it up and done what I need to do. Maybe it's because I've felt absolutely wretched, but it depresses me that my five-year-old isn't more empathetic and understanding. I gave up lying on the recliner and asking her to get water and snacks for herself, which were in easy reach for her. It's been Mom, will you get the box of seashells so I can do an art project? Mom, heat up my chicken nuggets--please. I don't want yogurt I can reach, I want chicken nuggets. Mom, we *never* get to go to the park anymore. Mom, will you change the icemaker to crushed ice? I don't like cubed, I want crushed. Monny, put in a movie--please. I know she's only a preschooler, but I feel like crying of weariness because it's like I'm running a marathon every time I get up and down. When do they start getting it that Mom is sick and they could help out a little?

Anyway, roll on, CM! I'll be back when I feel like a human being.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 8:01 PM on May. 16, 2013 in General Parenting

• I remember one time when my oldest was about 18 months old. I got so sick I gave him a baggie of Cheerios all day, kept the box next to me so I could refill as needed. Had a bucket next to me, could not move off the couch. My then-husband comes strolling in after work, sees my kid munching Cheerios in a dirty diaper (he hadn't been in it long, but I hadn't been able to change it yet), and my head in the bucket with the most awful sounds coming out of me. He waits for a break in my vomiting and says, "So, what're you making for dinner?" I swear, the man almost died that night. If I'd had the strength, he would have.

My 9 and 12 yr olds get it now...sometimes. I've been sick off and on this week. Some days they're really sweet and helpful, even kissing my forehead...others, you'd think I planned to get sick just to ruin their lives.

Hope you feel better soon.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:07 PM on May. 16, 2013

• Dh and I were both so sick when Ds was little- one night we took him in our bed- turned on the tv and handed him a box of fruit loops for dinner. I. Kid. You. Not. It was that bad. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:04 PM on May. 16, 2013

• Take some rest when you can and hope you feel better soon. :-)
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:06 PM on May. 16, 2013

• I really hope you feel better soon
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:46 AM on May. 17, 2013

• I hope you feel better soon..

It's normal for the kid.

My five year old gets it but that is only because I have been "ill"(multiple autoimmune disorders that are also affecting my spine) since he was 18mths old. It's all he knows so he has learned it. Unlike when you just get sick from time to time.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:10 AM on May. 17, 2013

• I, too, got NO HELP. Luckily my kiddo is 18 and self sufficient, but hubby left me yesterday with nothing to eat (nothing I could keep down anyway). Tonight I drug my sick ass to the store and bought crackers and bread, and threw some chicken patties and french fries in the cart for hubby. Got home and guess who cooked?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:19 AM on May. 17, 2013

• Aw, mama! Big hugs! I'm really lucky in this area- DH is wonderful when I'm sick, and DS is so sweet and empathetic, though he still has his needs, too! (he's 4 1/2) It's the WORST being sick when you're the Mom, though. I do understand!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:52 AM on May. 17, 2013

• Are you ladies serious? Do you all really expect your children to sympathize that you are sick? They're children, they don't understand That sort of sympathy until later, they depend on YOU for everything! It may not feel fair, but that's what you sign up for when you have them and as they grow they learn hopefully from you to sympathize towards others and patience and to help out if they can! It SUCKS LIKE HELL to be sick especially with a stomach bug and still have to tend to others but when they're that small that's just part of the sacrifice and selflessness of being a mom! NOW your husband on the other hand is a different story and his ass should be helping out!
    Anonymous