What is your back to school budget for your kid?

DH & I are discussing budget for back to school. He seems to think that my budget is a little to high. Seems to me that a back pack, all school supplies, clothes, shoes, etc.... are going to cost more than $100. I figured a budget of $50 on school supplies (roughly), and $150 ~ $200 on everything else. Input moms? How much do you usually spend?

usmcwifey222

Asked by usmcwifey222 at 3:47 AM on May. 17, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They get a new pencil and new shoes made from plastic bags, cardboard and duct tape. Any bitching and they go straight to their cage.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 9:04 AM on May. 17, 2013

• I buy clothes year round when they are on sale and mine use their backpacks for at least a couple years, so it's just school supplies - usually $50/child.

Answer by missanc at 6:20 AM on May. 17, 2013

• We buy clothes/shoes as needed and my parents bought DS a JanSport when he started school so he has never needed a new one so that only leaves us with supplies to purchase. So somewhere between $30-$40 depending on the list and sales.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:38 AM on May. 17, 2013

• My kids use their back packs for years. Buy Jansport and you'll never have to replace it. I spend around $50 each for supplies. Then around $200 each on uniforms. I buy clothes year round as they need them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:47 AM on May. 17, 2013

• And your not far off, think, good shoes are at least $50, shirts $10-$25, hoodies depend on brand, underwear, socks...there is no way anyone could get everything for $100
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 8:41 AM on May. 17, 2013

• I don't have/make one. It depends how much extra money I have and what's reusable.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:22 AM on May. 17, 2013

• Let see if i had to write it out, though, I start now with things that go on sale this time of year, like jeans. get each kid 3 or 4 pairs and put them away. Then throughout summer I pick up shirts, skirts(for dd) and hoodies, shoes etc. All together I probably spend close to $500.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 8:40 AM on May. 17, 2013

• I buy clothes year round, I don't really do a big shopping for clothes unless they have a uniform (Which my son did for the first half of his kinder year). And I don't know about your school supply list, but ours was more than $50 worth!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:21 AM on May. 17, 2013

• I will buy their school supply kits in the next week and they will be delivered to the school and ready for meet the teacher night in Aug. Those run just under $40 / kit (I have two kids). I don't usually do the school clothes shopping for the new school year. We live in TX and it's still pretty hot when they go back to school, so they wear the same things they have been wearing during the spring and summer. I can't buy them fall clothing because I have no idea what will fit them when the weather finally turns. They are at that age where they hit weird growth spurts and I can't plan ahead too far. They usually get new shoes though, since they are pretty hard on their shoes, even in the summer.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:23 AM on May. 17, 2013

• I buy stuff year round as well, maybe a new outfit and pair of shoes for his first day.He will need a new backpack, but I don't plan on investing in one until he needs a good one. I also don't think he'll need many school supplies. I probably won't spend more than $50.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:37 AM on May. 17, 2013