Anything to put on mosquito bites?

I have tried everything to keep them off my 2 yo and we treated our yard, but she still gets them and they swell up bright red on her fair skin. Anything I can put on them to make them go down? (they don't seem to bother her too much)

Asked by missanc at 11:11 AM on May. 17, 2013 in General Parenting

• We get horrible mosquitoes around here, so I know exactly what you mean. I usually use calamine lotion - the generic, store version works fine for me. Also, witch hazel can help, too, sometimes. Just put it on a cotton ball and swipe it over the bites. Actually, most of the time I do the witch hazel and only do the calamine when the witch hazel doesn't seem to do to the trick.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:18 AM on May. 17, 2013

• Have you tried Aloe? I know it helps with sunburns, but it's also helped calm other "itchies" I've gotten.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:32 AM on May. 17, 2013

• Benadryl cream or cortisone 10. Sounds to me with them swelling up that she might have a mall allergy to them. I'd try the benedryl first,
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 11:41 AM on May. 17, 2013

• I just read that when you apply baby oil to your skin before you go outside that it repels mosquito's. I have tried rubbing dryer sheets on my kids clothing & that helps. Someone posted here yesterday that put Listerine in a spray bottle & spritz yourself & that repels them too, After I get bit, I spray Windex on a paper towel & rub it on the bite & it stops it from itching. Probably the amonia in the Windex that helps. But it works. .

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:49 AM on May. 17, 2013

• Stop the itching. Witch Hazel

Answer by louise2 at 1:22 PM on May. 17, 2013