Training your dog

how did you train your dog to sit?

meliscool72

Asked by meliscool72 at 11:34 AM on May. 17, 2013 in Pets

• Told him "sit" and pushed his butt down, held it there a few moments then said "up" and released him. Then I praised him and gave him a treat. I did this a few times, and he learned it. But he was a yellow lab and they learn commands quickly. I taught him several
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:14 PM on May. 17, 2013

• I would hold the tread by my dogs nose and slowly bring the treat backwards above his head and towards his back, this motion always made my dog sit. I would say the sit command at the same time and give the treat as soon as his butt hit the floor. Worked like a charm every time and my dog learned to sit after doing this only a few times!
    _whisper_

Answer by _whisper_ at 12:50 PM on May. 17, 2013

• I did the same as Nimue. I used my pointer finger to touch her on her back, and gave the command at the same time. When we're walking I'll use the hand motion because she walks so close to me. But in the house I just say "sit."
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:14 PM on May. 17, 2013

• To get the basic idea down for her, I stood to her side, said Sit while simultaneously pushing her butt down AND pulling her collar back towards her butt to show the movement. Then reward her with a treat, I only do it about 3 times in one sitting so she doesn't get bored.
    next we move on to standing in front of her and saying sit, reward if she does it correct and correct if she doesn't, then work up to her sitting on a designated side. Like when we are out for walks and I tell her to come she comes immediately to my right side and sits down. Consistency and not getting frustrated when they don't sit is key!
    Good Luck and Have Fun!!
    Today while out for a run and older gentleman stopped us to tell me I had a very well behaved Dog. She is a German Shepherd, and she runs right next to the stroller without ever trying to run off after rabbits, geese other dogs or people.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:40 PM on May. 17, 2013

• I use the clicker training method. I take a treat and lure the dog into the sitting position and when they sit I click and give the treat. I don't use the command until the dog is consistently doing the behavior with a hand signal.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:24 PM on May. 18, 2013

• Say the command, only once and with no extra words in the sentence, and tuck the dog's tail or press down firmly on the hindquarters. Reward the dog as soon as the tush hits the floor. It shouldn't take long.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:46 PM on May. 26, 2013