Do you know what your school budget is this year? Do you vote?

If you vote, then do your Property Tax increases every year deter you from voting yes for the school budget? How do you feel about voting yes or no? Obviously it only applies to homeowners.

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 12:50 PM on May. 17, 2013 in Home & Garden

• i know my districts budget and we voted on several new bond issues in Feb (which passed!). weirdly, we have the best school district in the area and pay less than most other districts. i think the ppl in charge of the money use it very well and do a good job of thinking ahead. our property taxes havent increased since we bought our house in 2009 so thats probably why our bond issues always pass...they figure out how to get whats needed without raising taxes.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:15 PM on May. 17, 2013

• I do and I do.

Our district has been going through very tough times in the past few years. 7 years ago we had 4 elementary schools (PK-4), 1 middle school (5-8), and 1 high school (9-12). For the '13-'14 school year we will have 2 elementary schools (PK-6) and 1 high school (7-12). Also there will be no busing for 9-12 grades and parents have to pay a ridiculous amount for their kids to do extra-circulars. This is because the levy that has been put on the ballet twice a year for the past 10 years has failed. In fact, the last levy that passed was in the 80's...so they are running a district on a budget from 30 years ago.

I always vote yes. I would not mind my property taxes going up if it meant any improvement at all in the education of our district. I wish we lived in a state that just did what they wanted and, if the school needed more money, they just take it...no voting.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:46 PM on May. 17, 2013