Why are you here?

This is for EVERYONE (making it clear - I'm NOT calling or singling anyone out, lol. My point is actually the opposite - for the people of this section to actually show what it's REALLY about)

Why do you come to R&B and RD?

What are your motivations, your intentions?

What do you feel is the purpose of these areas of CM?

What do you expect from others upon choosing to interact here?

Do you feel there are any sort of unspoken guidelines when it comes to participating in these sections?

What do you feel represents a positive interaction, and what represents a negative one?

What are some things that people should remember, avoid, or attempt while engaging here?

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 1:58 PM on May. 17, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• To learn about other people's faiths, and such learn more about people. There is such a vast diversity with faith, and as it is such an integral part of many people's lives it is very interesting. It is one thing to read about different faith practices, but hearing from individuals also provides great info, as even people of the same denomination of the same faith still have such differences... and it's so great!! It's also great how moms from so many different religious backgrounds can have so much in common and can band together!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 2:09 PM on May. 17, 2013

• The guidelines arent unspoken
    Whether you call it the golden rule or something else the expected behavior is respect one another and their belief system
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:12 PM on May. 17, 2013

• I'm here to discuss the finer philosophical points of different beliefs (sadly, something that really hasn't happened here in years)

The rule is don't be an asshole.

Things to remember - this is not your personal blog, it is no different than a new job, new neighborhood or new school. You should not behave here any differently than you would behave when encountering one of those situations. You do not tell a new co-worker they're in league with Satan if they don't practice your religion. You don't meet a new neighbor by telling them they have to agree with your bible interpretation or move out of the house they've lived in for years since you just moved in across the street. In other words, don't be an asshole.

People of every religion (and non-religion) manage to get along just fine here and have civil conversations for years. If someone can't, they have a problem, not everyone else.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:46 PM on May. 17, 2013

• It had begun ( years ago when Answers first launched) as a means of correcting misconceptions and informing others of my specific beliefs as well as to learn about others and WHY they believe as they do, not just hear "because the bible says so".
    Over the years We've had discussions that made us (us being regular members) think and discussions that may have given us new insight. Then we have the idiot spammers that come in and well, then it's a joke.
    This site and these sections aren't intended for spam or bashing one another over the head with a specific belief.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:13 PM on May. 17, 2013

• I never used to venture in here because it was a scary place lol. But, over time, I've come to enjoy reading about other faiths and how people live their lives within the context of what is important to them. I've learned a lot and I respect the people who participate. I don't always have a lot to contribute but I enjoy the discourse.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:05 PM on May. 17, 2013

• I don't find religion all that interesting, but I enjoy reading how different people talk about it.

Plus I throw in my own experiences from time to time.

What do I expect? Zealots, anti-zealots, those that go with the flow, and those that get their panties in a wad when they discover not everyone on this board is their religion.

Guidelines would be nice, but without any moderator to enforce them, it's kind of a shooting match what we'll see from week to week.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:51 PM on May. 17, 2013

• To learn. Admittedly I find some enjoyment from the pissing contests that sometimes go on. Like Kristi I initially came on to find out about misconceptions and correct them or just learn the real truth from someone who practices any given religion.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:23 PM on May. 17, 2013

• Mostly for fun.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:02 PM on May. 17, 2013

• To learn but I find I can learn more about other people's beliefs in real life than here. but its all interesting anyway.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:57 PM on May. 17, 2013

• musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:59 AM on May. 18, 2013