Defining a "Real American"

How do you define a "Real American"?
Skin Color?
What church they attend?
How long the family has been here?
Enlistment status?
Voter ID card/party affiliation?
During a recent exchange on FB with an in-law over a "God Bless America or F**king Leave" post, I asked if it bothered her at all that so many were advocating running anyone different out of the country (some worse). Her response to me was "You are not a true American, you have no right to be here, if you don't like it being a Christian country you need to leave"

FYI: born and raised in the US in a family that goes back to the cracking of the Liberty Bell (CJ John Marshall is an ancestor).

emptynstr

Asked by emptynstr at 2:08 PM on May. 17, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• When I think of a "Real American" I think of my Dad. He was first generation living here in the USA. His Parents were born in Italy & moved here to the USA before he & his 6 Brothers were born. He fought in the Korean War, Always had an American Flag proudly waving on his home. Voted, was a small business owner who helped out anyone who needed it, provided for his family & treated them very well. Never said anything against his Country. Never judged anyone from other races or creeds & was respected by many. He was the epitome of a True American & I loved him very much & miss him dearly. He raised us to be proud & respectful of our Country & work hard & always treat others with respect & compassion.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:23 PM on May. 17, 2013

• someome smart enough to read and understand the constitution and know this is NOT a Christian nation. Anyone who believes it is is obviously too stupid to understand our laws or simply a treasonous theocrat who would be happier in Iran or Saudi Arabia where the law favors one religion over others.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:21 PM on May. 17, 2013

• My ancestors have been here since 1670 and I have had NUMEROUS people tell me that because I'm an Atheist who has a problem with the Christian god being all up in the government and I feel there should be stricter regulations on guns, that I should get the hell out. I'm called unpatriotic and un-American (even though I served in the Army for 4 years).

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:12 PM on May. 17, 2013

• i hate deciding anything is "real" or not. its just a label and society usually decides which labels fit which ppl.

if i asked this question on a university campus in NYC my answer would be vastly different than if i asked it in a tiny church in small town Kansas.

and i hate when ppl ignorantly say its a Christian country. they have obviously never read any of the Founding Fathers' official govt documents...instead they (maybe) have heard some preacher twist some of the Founding Fathers' personal beliefs and letters into a blind false belief that they intended this to be a Christian country.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:21 PM on May. 17, 2013

• IMO A real American is a citizen. (others maybe striving to be Americans but are not yet)IMO. A true American believes and defends the constitution, to the death if necessary. A true American strives for a better America for all its citizen. It has nothing to do with race or color or religion. It has nothing to do with sex or poi tics or age or how long you or your line has beenlegal citizens.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:57 AM on May. 18, 2013

• That's just ignorance rearing it's ugly little head. Ignore them. An American is any citizen of the United States of America, born here or not.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 2:19 PM on May. 17, 2013

• I don't have a definition of a 'real American'. I define an American as being a citizen. Real = reality and perception = reality. Perception is opinion and I don't consider citizenship as opinion or perception. It either is or it isn't.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:15 PM on May. 17, 2013

• People like that disgust me.

I am a "real American" because I was born in this country to American citizens, period. Yes, I can go back to the Mayflower on my mom's side but, honestly that's besides the point. It's not my beliefs, or lack thereof, that make me an American.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:16 PM on May. 17, 2013

• I would say a "Real Anerican" could be defined as something as basic as ones birth certificate or citizenship status. That in itself sounds too easy for all the FB patriots to grasp.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:17 PM on May. 17, 2013

• I can trace my family in America back to like 1620-something. But that's not what makes me a "real American." To me, a "real American" is someone who wants to be one, who is a citizen of the country (whether by birth, marriage or working hard to get a green card), and...well, that's pretty much it for me.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:48 PM on May. 17, 2013