How can I get my son over his fear of peeing?

I started potty training my son, and he's scared to death to pee without a diaper on. And even then, he whines and whines. He doesn't want to pee on himself. When he's sitting on the potty, he'll dribble a little, then he'll stop because he's scared it till get on him. In his underwear, he pees just a little bit, then stops for the same reason. When he's naked, he won't pee at all. I know he knows what to do due to other signs and things that he says and does, this is just our one hang up. What do I do?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 3:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• how old is your son? Maybe he is just getting interested, but isn't really ready yet.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i would take a break, and try again in a month or two.... doesn't sound like he's ready...
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My aunt used to tell me to throw cherios into the toilet. Then have him "sink" them...lol!
    She said it worked for her boys but I don't know if Corby is old enough to try that.
    Her point was, make a game of it:)
    JasonsCutiePie

Answer by JasonsCutiePie at 5:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• To JasonsCutiePie: Yeah, I tried that last night. He just freaked out again. :) I know he's ready because of everything else he does. He sits on the potty by himself, he points to himself when I tell him to go pee pee, he hates wet and dirty diapers, he has GREAT control, he wakes up dry in the morning, etc, so I know he's ready, he's just scared.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 7:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• poor guy!!! oh yeah... poor mom!! LOL:)
    JasonsCutiePie

Answer by JasonsCutiePie at 11:28 AM on Feb. 18, 2009