Since there's no chance of an intelligent discussion in that other question

How about this one for the fun of it:

Teresa of Avila, crazy egomaniac or visited by Jesus?

For those unaware - Teresa was a Carmelite nun (that means extra strict, wouldn't wear shoes because that was too much luxury, etc - she thought the existing orders weren't strict enough, so she invented her own to be even more "hard core") who believed she was visited in the night by Jesus, where he pierced her very soul and told her, "if I had not created heaven, I would create it for you alone." Eventually she was conferred sainthood by the Papacy. Here's Bernini's interpretation of her being "pierced by the spirit:

Regardless of whether you believe her story, the scultpure is amazing - that's all done by hand in marble, not a single tool mark to be found.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:45 PM on May. 17, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• that is a gorgeous statue. so was this piercing real or metaphorical? i know very little about saints.

and im gonna go with egomaniac.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:53 PM on May. 17, 2013

• Well, it wasn't real in the sexual sense of the word. Can a soul be pierced by anything?

I lean egomaniac, too, though the woman had cojones. In a time when most women weren't even taught to read, she had the nerve to write and publish her own autobiography. It just wasn't done then. She's like the militant nun version of Madonna.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:56 PM on May. 17, 2013

• i'll have to read up on her, sounds fascinating either way!

oh and by piercing i was leaning toward a physical thing like an arrow in her, since thats what the statue shows. i assumed it was spiritual until i saw the statue, but its nice to know where your mind is haha.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:04 PM on May. 17, 2013

• i assumed it was spiritual until i saw the statue, but its nice to know where your mind is haha.

Actually, that's how a lot of people interpret the statue (out of context). It's called "The Ecstasy of Teresa" and, to put it bluntly, she looks pretty orgasmic. That's 20th century context, though. When it was made, people were so sheltered the thought would never have occurred to them - they didn't even have female models yet - the artists all had to guess based on looking at the male body in the mirror. But the "piercing" was something that happened when he allegedly came to her in visions. That's what she wrote her book about.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:12 PM on May. 17, 2013

• Beautiful statue
    I don't believe she started the order to be more hardcore but to revert back to the purpose of the religious life. Apparently he convent she entered was more a party place than a contemplative, prayer filled place.
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 4:16 PM on May. 17, 2013

• I don't know that I'd say egomaniac so much as paranoid with delusions of grandeur. It's hard to diagnose a person who is no longer alive. I suppose I could read her Autobiography and cross reference with the DSM-IV
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:16 PM on May. 17, 2013

• egomaniac

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:31 PM on May. 17, 2013

• It is a work or art
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:19 PM on May. 17, 2013

• The craftsmanship of this piece of art is incredible! I don't know much about it, but the workings are amazing!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 6:43 PM on May. 17, 2013

• It's an amazing statue. As far as her vision is concerned, she could have experienced something I guess. People dream of heavenly visits all the time. Personally I don't think Jesus would have said that to her bc the Bible relies heavily on not bring able to earn your way to heaven, and it appears that was her focus. I personally believe Jesus would say that to anyone, as all are welcome and He loves all of us....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:44 PM on May. 17, 2013