How much do you study?

Within your particular, individual faith or affiliations, how much effort do you put into educating yourself ? What about speaking in general sense, pertaining to the affiliations of others? Do you read?Do you listen to podcasts of knowledgeable speakers? If so, what kind of books/authors/speakers do you read/listen to? Do you go to church and merely listen to what you are taught? How informed would you estimate yourself to be on these matters (your religion in specific and those of others in general)

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 4:29 PM on May. 17, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Everyday life is a learning experience. The things I read in the Bible are tested and applied daily. This is faith-affirming, life-living learning that never ends.

I am a single working mom so I read when I have the chance. I listen to alot of radio programs en route. When I go to church I go with the old-fashioned mindset: "Enter to worship. Depart to serve." Though I do enjoy learning at church also, it is the worship that I find myself excited about as I head out.

Ravi Zacharias is a favorite author and I love his broadcast "Let My People Think".
    Other books: Mere Christianity by CS Lewis, Pursuit of God by AW Tozer. My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers.
    I have read several by Philip Yancey and Lee Strobel that I liked. There are so many that I would like to read and just haven't had the opportunity yet. I watch (or listen to) Frances and Friends on SBN...
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:02 PM on May. 17, 2013

• As far as TV ministries go, I like In Touch with Charles Stanley and I enjoy his books as well.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:03 PM on May. 17, 2013

• I read quite a bit about my own religion, talk to others I consider knowledgeable, and listen to speakers, etc. I'm trying to be more open minded about other belief systems but it can be difficult for me at times. I live in an area where the prominent belief system is "learning truth" and following "spirit"..... It seems so vague to me. I can't find anything to really wrap my head around so I find myself dismissing it. But I'd like to be more open minded.. It's just difficult at times
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 5:36 PM on May. 17, 2013

• Heathenry is also called "the religion with homework". If you're not reading/learning, you're basically "sinning" (to use a term more people will understand).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:59 PM on May. 17, 2013

• Frankly, it's something that really is never ending. I cannot commit to a religion because there is too much to learn. World Religions is a class every person should take in college.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:05 PM on May. 17, 2013

• At an earlier time in my life I was into full experiential phase. Dabbled in many different religions and philosophies. Now I study my faith, which is Catholicism and feel like I do it from an informed place, given my past

snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 8:09 PM on May. 17, 2013

• I don't have a religion right now. All I know is that I believe in God. Everyday I pray for spiritual guidance.
    Lately I have been reading Jewish interpretations, so I have been reading a lot of the "Old Testament" I find the idea of good people from all beliefs growing closer to God, not just practicing Jews; their thoughts on souls and afterlife, Kabbalah and things like that are very interesting. I have been reading at chabad.org
    I like to read from other texts too, but right now this is what I am focusing on, and I do a little studying everyday.

Momtoela

Answer by Momtoela at 8:30 PM on May. 17, 2013

• Yes I read some everyday. Listen to lectures once a week. And attend a class a couple times a month. (it use to be weekly)

I learn about what others believe from asking and reading what they suggest to read about their beliefs.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:52 PM on May. 17, 2013

• not as much as i want to...at least not on religion. i have to study for history & education courses instead. but im only taking one class this summer so i plan on getting a lot of studying in! ive got a stack of religious books ive been waiting to read and cant wait to dive in! i have a copy of the Koran, the Mormon Bible, the Eddas, and a collection of Buddhist texts i plan on reading this summer. (i decided to get the 3 Hunger Games books thru with first since they are a quick read.)
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:07 PM on May. 17, 2013

• I read every day does that count?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:25 PM on May. 17, 2013