Flying with your LO

My DD is 20 months old and we are planning a trip to see some family in April. Any tips or tricks you know to make a 3 hour flight with a little one as easy as possiable. Also did you purchase a seat for your LO ?

Syddasmom

Asked by Syddasmom at 3:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Travel

• first time i flew with my daughter was when she was 8months old. she slept most of the time.

now she will be 22months when we fly the next time... 10hour flight again. we didnt purchase a seat for her. since she will probably sit on my lap the whole time anyway. i will bring some of her favorite toys, a couple books and paper and pens so she can draw something.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• first flew with my son he was 26 months. I way over packed, a couple of books, crayons paper, favorite blanket - A MUST. Make sure you have something for her to drink and eat. My son was so excited, loved the food tray and getting soda on the plane. I did buy him a seat.
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 3:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My son was 4 months and he slept on both of the flights. You actually don't have to buy them a seat until they are over two years old. I got lucky and had an empty seat next to me to lay him in. Just make sure you pack lots of snacks and toys, blankets b/c planes are always so cold. One thing I regret not taking was my stroller. I had to carry him plus my purse a bag and his diaper bag.
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 8:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think it is nice to go to the dollar store and buy a few new surprises on the trip. Have a set time to peak in the treat bag. It could be new markers or silly pens, Stickers, books, smarties candy... It's nice on a trip to play with new stuff, a small magna doodle.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:10 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Up to age 2 can be held by a parent as 'child in arms'. Just make sure you have something to suck on to equalize the ear pressure on take-off and landing.mother of 4, including a pilot, aerospace engineer; and a grandmother of a baby who flys all over!
    nursekeck

Answer by nursekeck at 1:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2009