Can anything positive come from the White House owning the Census?

I will be honest, I am pretty biased against it. As I understand it, once it is in the White House it is very unlikely that it will leave, and then whatever party is in the White House can then determine where the "soft" territories are and can pad with extra seats in order to force through their agenda.

So I am wondering, is there any positives that can come of this?

(fyi: BOTH sides have suggested it at different times).

Fiveofakind2

Asked by Fiveofakind2 at 3:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No I dont think anything good can come of it. I think it was developed the way it was for a reason and should stay that way. You know what they say "If it aint broke dont fix it?".

Answer by gemgem at 3:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i am going to say no....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Nope. Nothing Good. It's reflective of Chicago "deep control" Politics, imo...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Grly, I don't think that is a fair assessment. Rove was a HUGE supporter of this because of strategy, so it isn't just Obama.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Grlygrlz2- why are you so angry today and picking fights??
    Anonymous

• The difference, imo:
    Bush didn't do it. Rove said he was ok with it? He wasn't President.
    Obama has announced he is going to do it.
    Having a cabinet member who is a fan, is entirely different then a President who has the power and has made every intention clear that he intends to implement. jmo...

I wasn't and am not a fan of Rove, but he didn't have the power to implement, he just had an opinion... But either way you look at it, it is corrupt.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• lol.. picking fights? where?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Actually, Bush wanted to do it, Rove architected it, but then the administration fell into the CIA operative scandal and it disappeared. The plan is word for word what Rove wrote.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• See, I remember the plan Rove wrote, but I do not remember Bush intending to implement. Interesting... Do you have a link? I believe you, but I just want to read more about it. Thanks.
    So, strike the Chicago and insert Corrupt! Does that make it better? :o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• heehee...I like you compromise grly. White house should not be involved if for no other reason than the appearance of partisanship would be bad.......much less if their hands got dirty screwing around with the numbers.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2009