Lady yelling at me over spanking

iv had a problem with my 4 year old son he runs down the street and crosses it i have a very hard time trying to get him as im very ashmatic and am not in the greatest shape to run after but i do and am trying to breath in the process. I chased him and when i finally caught him i was so mad i gave him 3 swats on the butt i normally dont spank unless its for safety and a lady driving a car was screaming at me because i spanked my son. idk i didnt know how to react to it and was so pissed when i got back in the house i wasnt even at my home i was babysitting 3 older kids. what would you have said and is it reasonable what i did with the spaking i didnt even smack his butt hard and he has pull ups on

katehaydensmom

Asked by katehaydensmom at 10:23 PM on May. 17, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would not have said anything. Just be careful with your son in the streets.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:26 PM on May. 17, 2013

• I try so hard at my house I have a lock at the top of my door but babysitting I lock the door and when I go to the bathroom he unlocks it and runs. Its so frustrating.
    katehaydensmom

Comment by katehaydensmom (original poster) at 10:34 PM on May. 17, 2013

• Damn girl, flip her off and go back in your house. You don't have to listen to anyone. It's your life.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:06 PM on May. 17, 2013

• I don't give a flying fuck what anyone thinks of me or how I discipline my kids. I'm doing it the way I feel best. If you don't like what I do, go somewhere else.

Put that lady out of your mind.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:39 AM on May. 18, 2013

• I would have told her to go "FUCK OFF". To mind her own business.

Answer by louise2 at 6:57 AM on May. 18, 2013

• The only way I would have reacted to something like this if I saw it happening would be if in your anger, it was too hard of a swat....in the heat of the moment spanking can be dangerous sometimes, but I can understand why you did.....but really mom, spanking does not work..how many times has he done this...it only takes a few seconds of distraction for a disaster to happen.....

Answer by older at 7:19 AM on May. 18, 2013

• I wouldn't have said anything to her, I just ignore that. People stared at me when I put my daughter in time out at daycare. It was time to leave, and it was cold, so I told her to put her jacket it on, and she threw it on the floor screaming "no". When I tried to put it on her myself she through herself on the floor screaming. I told her to face the wall. All the other parents that were picking their kids up stared at me like I was abusing her. I put her in time out for crying out loud! Another time at the daycare she ran out in the parking lot. She let go of my hand and ran, and I had my DS, so I couldn't just bolt after her. I yelled "STOP" while trying to catch up with her and all the other parents looked at me like I was the worst person ever, because you know, their 2 year old would never dream of pulling away from them and running.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:55 AM on May. 18, 2013

• its always so easy to tell others what they are doing wrong, I am guilty myself, In a good mood with a happy 5 year old son, I see a mother drag her child and tell him to shut his mouth as he's in tears... I think , Oh my god, that's terrible, where is her patience.. then I have THAT day, my son acted up from the moment he woke, fit after fit, not listening at all, 5pm we finally get to target and he whines he wants he wants, won't listen, I am MAD Now... done with his Crap for the day... I am now THAT mother.. As women, i think we are just judgemental of each other far too often
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:02 PM on May. 21, 2013

• You did nothing wrong, in my opinion. I would have done the same thing. Don't dignify the busybody who yelled at you with another thought.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:57 AM on May. 26, 2013

• I would ignore them, unfortnetly people have to add their 2 cents, you might want to not spank him in public though.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 12:08 PM on May. 28, 2013