Kids sleeping aids

My sons doctor told me to use 1 mg of melitonan for my son ( who is 4 years old) for a month to help get him on a normal sleeping pattern and my mom flipped out when she came over and saw me give it to him. I was using it just as the doctor told me one tablet at 745 and 8 he was out cold. but she said i was abusing my child and killing him with drugs and this is the only medication he is taking no its not a prescription but i can get a note from his doctor asap if i had to but she is threatening to call cps and idk what to do my mom is a vindictive person and i don't want any more bad blood between us then there already is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on May. 17, 2013 in General Parenting

• Tell her that it is produced naturally in the body. On a side note, watch his reaction to it very carefully. It can cause nightmares or weird dreams. Of course, your doctor should have gone over that with you.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:35 PM on May. 17, 2013

• If it were my mom, I'd kick her out of my home and tell her to butt the hell out of my life and the life of my family until she can act like an adult....but until then she can threaten CPS or call all she wants. If you have a prescription from a doctor for this medicine, there is nothing she/they can do.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:37 PM on May. 17, 2013

• Since your Mother does not live with you, just ignore what she said. Tell her your son is sleeping a lot better now and if the doctor suggests you keep giving him the meds, than its your decision to take the doctor's advice or find another way to help your son. Your Mother does not need to know everything about your son, just that you are taking care of him and are a good Mother.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:40 PM on May. 17, 2013

• my son is on melatonin, too, but only after a sleep study ruled other things out. my mom was freaked out too... till she realized it's NOT benadryl and under a dr's supervision. your mom is strange but it's nice she loves your kiddo
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:41 AM on May. 18, 2013