So, did you know...

Since that question got deleted.... A few points :
It was AFTER the Babylon captivity - the exile - that Satan was turned into a "supernatural" being, and credit for that is given most likely to the Persian Zoroastrians with their dualistic beliefs ;)

As well, YHVH/YHWH is God's name - Yahveh/Yahweh, which was mistakenly translated to Jehovah when, in the Middle Ages, a scholar paired the consonants with the vowels from the name/title Adonai based on the lack of diacritical marks (added to the texts out of the fear that proper pronunciation of the "Biblical language" would be forgotten as more and more of the Jewish populace spoke in other languages) added to the YHVH consonants. Adonai meant "the Lord" and was substituted by Jews for the name YHVH because to write/speak His name was taboo ;)

AND the texts of the Bible were almost *all* written after the fact; that they are acronistic - the are not exactly accurate, as they are written much later and reflect the times in which they are written, which can be seen in many cases in the Bible. Often the recent themes and concerns (and misinformation) layered back on top of the kernel of historical truth. So we DON'T have one work from God, but different pieces of writing from many different authors, each with their own specific reasons and audiences ;)

Who knew?

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 10:42 PM on May. 17, 2013 in Religious Debate

• See, it all can be explained in a reasonable way.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:44 PM on May. 17, 2013

• Well I knew and I'm sure there are quite a few more of us that knew but we're not trying to claim our NIV version of the Bible and watch tower accompaniment is 100% literal truth either

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:44 PM on May. 17, 2013

• I always felt Yahweh was correct.

Momtoela

Answer by Momtoela at 10:45 PM on May. 17, 2013

• " NIV version of the Bible and watch tower accompaniment is 100% literal truth either"

JW's I know gave me the New World Translation :)
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 10:45 PM on May. 17, 2013

• I always wondered where the vowels came from.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:46 PM on May. 17, 2013

• See? Now THIS is a post I can get behind. I did not know this and feel a little richer for the information. The prior post that shall not be mentioned just made me feel cheap and tawdry.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:48 PM on May. 17, 2013

• And a bit gassy...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:48 PM on May. 17, 2013

• I guess I should say "more accurate"

Momtoela

Answer by Momtoela at 10:49 PM on May. 17, 2013

• and Timothy never actually says anything about false teachers. it is Paul (which is now debunked, since scholars believe Paul didnt write the Pastoral Epistles) who wrote to Timothy saying he needed to safe guard himself from the false teachers. its actually in 1 Tim in the first chapter...someone didnt look very hard.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:50 PM on May. 17, 2013

• That's why I didn't push on Numbers 31 - knew there was no way she'd read that far in with only the book name.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:52 PM on May. 17, 2013