Would you know if your SO or whoever was abusing your child??

Well there was a woman whose SO called her and told her that her son was hurt and instead of taking the little boy to the hospital, her SO takes the child to the woman's job. She says when he got there, he told her her son fell and hit his head while in the bathroom. Then she saw her son and seen his eyes were rolled back in his head, and knew something was wrong, and took her son the ER. When she got there, the doctors told her he had brain injuries, skull fractures, and broken ribs, and a collapsed lung. The doctors say those injuries were from physical abuse.The story didn't say if this these injuries occurred all at once, or over a few days. The SO was arrested and the little boy was taken by CPS, and the mom's parental rights were taken away, for "failing to protect her child" The little boy is now receiving physical therapy and speech therapy.

Now lets say those injuries occurred that day,while the mom was working, and then the SO took the child to his mom's place of work after the little boy was hurt. How could CPS get her for not protecting her son if this happened while she was at work??

Now if this happened over several days, then yes I hope she never gets her rights back, and the guy and her can spend the rest of their pathetic lives in hell.

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:12 AM on May. 18, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Something is missing from her story. She must have left out a critical fault of hers. It just would not happen.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:41 AM on May. 18, 2013

• Took a kid to a new sitter once. The kid was an emotional wreck for days after. No idea what happened but never went back

I think parents should be aware of their kids behavior. The chance that dad gave no indication prior to this day that he was violent is pretty slim

Based on the info provided perhaps mom shouldnt have lost the kids but i do believe investigating her and at the very least having her go through some counseling and classes is warranted
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:55 AM on May. 18, 2013

• The non-abusing parent of every abused child is in the dark about it for some period of time, unless the abuse is happening right in front of their eyes. Whether it's an hour or a day or years, until something happens (in this case the severe injuries) that makes it impossible to explain away, nobody is a psychic. This is precisely why we teach kids to tell.

Suggesting that mothers have some magic ability to instantly detect when something has happened is nothing but creating false insecurities - not much different from those questions about how long did you breastfeed, insinuating that if you didn't do it exactly as long as the person asking, you were an abusive parent.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:54 AM on May. 18, 2013

• In either case the child will be taken away from the parents (both the abuser and other) until CPS conducts a FULL investigation into the matter and determines where fault actually lies. From the x-rays ordered it will indicate whether the fractures are all recent or if there are patterns of healing and recent fractures (which would indicate long term abuse). Until the investigation is completed however, the child will remain in protective custody. IF it's true and the abuse was all recent and the mom was completely in the dark about it then she will eventually get her child back but she needs to make a complete break form the abuser. However with a report of "failure to protect" it tells me this abuse was long term and the child has patterns of healing fractures etc. Which the mom should have been aware of at some point and had her child looked at. (Pain in areas, unexplained bruising that is severe or on the back/abdomen etc
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:41 PM on May. 18, 2013

• I would like to think that I would, since I tend to pay attention to what bruises/cuts, ect my kids have. However, I do not know exactly what happens when I am not home. My husband usually gives me a play by play, and if I see one of the kids has a new bump or bruise I ask what happened, and he tells me. I would think with injuries that severe, if they did happen over a period of a few days that a mother would notice. The most serious injury my kid ever had was a cut that needed 3 stitches, and it was from tripping and hitting a table at daycare.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 6:47 AM on May. 18, 2013

• The police wouldn't have had a chance in hell to get the SO b4 I did!!!! If my SO brought my dd n to my work and tried telling me that she fell in the bath room I dought I'd believe him ESP if her eyes were rolling n the back of the head! I get that this is a complicated situation bc we don't no the facts. Hopefully she had no idea this happened and she gets a good lawyer and gets her son
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 8:45 AM on May. 18, 2013

• More must be known about the family situation if they took her rights away. Maybe there have been calls into CPS on this family as well as a visit.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:56 AM on May. 18, 2013

• Oh, c'mon... Not noticing fractures?!?! BS. Of course, if it was all at that one time, I get it. But I honestly doubt it. I don't think you can be dating a person with such violent tendencies to do all that to a child at once and not have warning sides before. I'm sorry, I don't buy the whole Prince Charming turning into Charles Manson in a day, sorry.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:31 AM on May. 21, 2013

• Maybe she didn't know, but abuse like that isn't usually a one-time thing. My dad swears to God he never knew anything was going on in our family, but it was because he didn't want to know. He made a conscious choice notto know, so he could keep on living in his perfect world.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:42 PM on May. 26, 2013

• Based on what little info is here I'd say there was a history of abuse such as healing breaks, bruises, etc. With that in mind then mom should have known and she failed to protect. If the child is old enough to talk all it would have taken was asking the child how he got a bruise. Children have a hard time lying about something like that and even if he wouldn't talk I'd be wondering how every time I left he got a new bruise but never when I was home.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:44 PM on May. 28, 2013