Presbiterian

I just went to a presbiterian church yesterday (or should I say hangout...which they call it that, they do not call it a church). Anyways, I was raised Southern Baptist and was taught that any other religion, even if it was Christian was wrong.

Now after attending one of their sermons or what have you, I realized they just worship like everyone else, but they allow you to do what moves you when you feel the presence of Jesus and such. I was surprised and scared at first because I had no idea what was going on.

I heard that they spoke in tongues, but didn't understand, but yesterday I found out. It isn't all that different from regular churches like I use to grow up in. It is like a laid back church where you are free from order and anyone can preach to anyone, which is pretty cool, because you never know what someone might have to offer you.

I am happy that I got to experience it first hand, because there is nothing better to educate yourself about something than experiencing it for yourself

meliscool72

Asked by meliscool72 at 6:51 AM on May. 18, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Did you go to a Pentecostal church?

*they speak in Tongues
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:13 AM on May. 18, 2013

• yes pentecostal LOL
    meliscool72

Comment by meliscool72 (original poster) at 9:19 AM on May. 18, 2013

• Did they cry and fall in the isles and do some faith healing?

they always did when I was going to them
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:31 AM on May. 18, 2013

• Presbyterian isn't that different from baptist. I was raised southern baptist but have never heard that other denominations (methodist, presbyterian, episcopalian, etc) are "wrong", they just interpret scripture differently.

Answer by missanc at 9:55 AM on May. 18, 2013

• I was baptized Catholic, OP, when I was four, and when I was seven my mother remarried my stepfather - who at the time was attending a Church of God (which I think is Pentecostal) - and we went with him to his church for a while.... It was a HUGE change, the solemn, organized way of the Catholic church and then suddenly dropped into a tongues speaking church (and they did, boy, they'd go around during the service dancing circles around the sanctuary speaking in tongues) that preached about wrestling bears and handling snakes if you have enough faith (not that I ever saw them demonstrate it). It was a nice church family, and I enjoyed the music, but it was just a little daunting, at the age I was, and the previous experience I had had being so different, lol. But I have mostly fond memories of that church and the people in it.

We ultimately ended up Methodist because it was a happy middle ground ;)

(cont)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:55 AM on May. 18, 2013

• But anyway, I think it's great that you're at least open to seeing what other ways of church are about. You're right, it's a great way to learn for yourself firsthand about others and they way they do things. And I'm glad it was a positive experience for you :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:56 AM on May. 18, 2013

• I was going to say "that doesn't sound Presbyterian" lol! I think it's good to experience different beliefs and to gain a better understanding of them, especially to show us that they really aren't bad people after all.

Momtoela

Answer by Momtoela at 10:33 AM on May. 18, 2013

• Yes, Pentacostal makes much more sense. I attended Presbyterian services for many years.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:40 AM on May. 18, 2013

• Yeah I was with the others as it doesn't sound Presbyterian (which is what I was raised as).
    Presbyterian and Pentecostal both derive from Protestant beliefs, but Pentecostal is a more fundamentalist or evangelical form of it which is more along the Bible is "literal truth" whereas Presbyterian is more open to differing interpretations and actually accepting of modern science.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:32 AM on May. 18, 2013

• the more denominational churches you go to the more you'll realize they have more in common than they do differences. i was also raised in a "anyone but us is wrong" kinda church and it can be really eye-opening when you realize they were wrong. shoot most denominations that started in America can be traced back to 1 of 3 guys haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:19 PM on May. 18, 2013