Athiest is a religion???

Okay, I am thinking why is not considered a religion to Atheists, however, they believe there is no higher power (if that is what I remember). Now if it is not a religion or a belief, then how can they "believe" that there is not a higher power? I mean they BELIEVE that there is no higher power while others BELIEVE there is a higher power.

So, my question is, how is this not a religion? How is this a lack of religion?

meliscool72

Asked by meliscool72 at 6:55 AM on May. 18, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a Athiest basicly. And I do not want it to be concidered a religion. A religion gathers and talks about their beliefs. We don't. We have only one thing in comon to talk about. That we do not beliove in your GOD.

Answer by louise2 at 7:01 AM on May. 18, 2013

• Because the only thing we are like minded in is our lack of belief in a deity. Other than that there is nothing else to go on, we all believe differently we each live life according to our conscious not a set of rules set by atheists. we do not sit around discussing our lack of belief. there is no need for religion.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 7:22 AM on May. 18, 2013

• To use this as an example : Atheism is a religion like bald is a haircolor or not playing chess is a sport. We all have one thing in common and that's not believing in any deities. Simple as that.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 7:40 AM on May. 18, 2013

• why is not considered a religion to Atheists, however, they believe there is no higher power (if that is what I remember)

This is wrong. Atheists do not believe in deities. There are dozens of religions that are atheistic - they believe in a higher power that is not a god, but some other form of organization, like in Taosim, or some shamanistic religions. Atheist is an adjective, it is not an organized group. A Taoist atheist, a Buddhist atheist, a shamanistic atheist, an atheist witch and a regular non-religious atheist have NOTHING in common, except that they don't believe in any gods. Otherwise, 3 of them have separate religions, the 4th has a craft that is not a religion, and the 5th believes in the power of the individual.

ALL of them believe something, it's just different than what you believe, and it doesn't make them one group you can generalize into anything.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:16 AM on May. 18, 2013

• The belief is based on scientific principles and research. The "belief" is based on knowledge, not faith. Therefore it is not a religion.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:17 AM on May. 18, 2013

• I'm not an atheist, but I don't have a religion. Religion is rituals, specific things you have to believe to belong to a certain one, things you have to do, etc. atheism has none of that, it isn't really a "belief" but a lack of belief. That's it. You don't have to believe anything else, you don't have to do anything. That would be like saying, "I don't believe unicorns exists, so I belong to the anti-unicorn religion" "I don't believe Zeus exists, so I belong to the anti-Zeus religion" "I don't believe in Bigfoot, I belong to the non-Bigfoot religion" "i don't believe fairies are real, so I belong to the non-fairy religion"

Momtoela

Answer by Momtoela at 10:30 AM on May. 18, 2013

• , it isn't really a "belief" but a lack of belief.

This is also incorrect. Atheists believe in many things, they just don't believe in a god. As I stated, there are entire religions that are atheistic - are you suggesting Taoists "lack belief"?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:33 AM on May. 18, 2013

• There is no worship. There is no holy book or doctrine to support it. There are no leaders, no rituals, no traditions, no real community to support atheism. Everything that is common across most religions is not there except the lack of belief in a god.

I think the bald headed analogy is the best way to describe it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:46 AM on May. 18, 2013

• Of course they believe in things, but they do not believe in God. Atheism is a lack of belief in God, and that is all that statement pertains to, not what other beliefs they hold, spiritual or otherwise. Atheism isn't a belief or a religion, but you can have beliefs and religion as an atheist. All atheism means is that you do not believe in God, any other spiritual beliefs, or practices you have are separate. There are theistic Taoists, just like there are atheist ones, and there are theistic Buddhists, just like there are atheist ones.

Momtoela

Answer by Momtoela at 11:02 AM on May. 18, 2013

• Depends. Buddhists are Atheists, (Well most anyways there are a few sects of Buddhism that do believe in gods). Satanists are Atheists. Jainists, Taoists, Humanists, etc. Religion is not based on whether one believes in a god or not, but whether they have a set list of doctrines by which they guide their lives. Likewise you have people who DO believe in higher beings or gods and aren't religious as they do not follow any specific tenants associated with their belief in gods. 

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:17 AM on May. 18, 2013