16 and 16, baby due this summer

my cousin and his on again/off again girlfriend are expecting. He sees her at Target and around town occasionally and can see she's getting pretty big but has no idea of actual due date. He's sort of pre-emanicipated... his dad works as an over the road truck driver and his Mom is in prison. His girlfriends dad changed their home phone and canceled her cell phone. He sent them a letter per my suggestion and the dad responded via a blocked phone number that it was harassment and he could goto jail and also that upon the babies birth they'd be suing or billing for dna testing and then child support. His non stop requests to attend dr visits or be called to the hospital were ignored.

I am helping him day by day right now and the 1st priority is can he assert any rights to visit the baby in the nursery after birth? What about middle name helping? He doesn't even know boy or girl ... it doesn't seem right or fair. The reason for the most recent break up was him being "creepy stalkery" regarding asking about ultrasound appointments, if she took vitamins, and when the due date was.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 9:59 AM on May. 18, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• What is middle name helping?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:29 AM on May. 18, 2013

• How old are they 16?? He will have no rights at the hospital at all the best thing he can do is get a lawyer and get visitation rights to his child ... As far as naming the baby goes he won't have much day in that either but can always petition the court to change the babies name and let the judge no why he couldn't be apart if the naming ... If the mother goes for any type if support he will get visitation with the baby . He can actually take her to court for support an stuff now if he wants ... Good luck
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 11:16 AM on May. 18, 2013

• He is 16 & lives alone? How sad :( Does he have a part time job? I think he should focus on his future & graduation High School then getting a good job. This way he can help provide for the baby in the future & fight for his rights as the babies Dad. How can they get support from him right now if he is in school? I wonder if they can go after his Dad for money for support since he is a minor. I think his Dad should contact a Lawyer & see ASAP.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:31 AM on May. 18, 2013

• Is he sure it's his?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:38 AM on May. 18, 2013

• I am getting involved because I feel a need to try and clean up the mess a little.... some of the things he got in trouble for and broken up with and over are possibly my fault :( he was parroting info back to them and the girl and her folks got very, very annoyed. The one example I mentioned was vitamins. She stopped taking her prenatals because she couldn't poop. I suggested the more palatable chewy ones and he would ask her if they were working and if she was taking them. Her dad considered it controlling and stalker-ish

middle name = his middle name is Lee and the minute they found out they were expecting they planned for the baby regardless of gender to have middle name Lee as well. ... I am assuming he gets absolutely zero say on the name ... first middle OR LAST?

He is (in my opinion) the dad. He is a good student, works at a hotel, got his drivers license on the 1st try, etc. very decent guy.
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 12:56 PM on May. 18, 2013

• If it is his baby he does have rights, but will most likely need a lawyer to enforce them. No he won't get top help choose a name. In order for her to get child support she will have to prove paternity so you can't exactly "bill "/ "sue" the father for that. She's the one requesting so she's the one paying for it. Then he will get court ordered visitation whether her father likes it or not. If she's his girlfriend why isn't she volunteering this information. You can estimate her due date based on when she announced she was pregnant to begin with. I commend him for trying to step up and showing his concern for the mother of his potential child.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:02 PM on May. 18, 2013

• Is it possible dad is trying to scare him off so they can put the baby up for adoption? Or maybe there's something else going on that you haven't been told.

He needs an attorney. Tomorrow.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:57 PM on May. 19, 2013

• ask an attorney, this girl seems off her rocker
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 2:00 PM on May. 19, 2013

• He needs to get an attorney now and make it known he wants to see his child and be involved. I wonder if the girl is even planning on keeping the baby and maybe will be placing it for adoption? My younger brother at 25 got his girlfriend pregnant she cut him off 4 months into the pregnancy. He had no clue when the baby was born he did find out she had placed the child for adoption. Thankfully, he was able to get his daughter back after he discovered that and now is raising her alone. I think once a woman cuts a guy off like that he needs to at least consider the possibility she is doing it because she wants to give the baby up and doesn't want him to have it either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on May. 20, 2013

• In all cases the mother has the right to name the baby. The only exception is if the mother dies in childbirth and then it goes to the closest relative or the adoptive parents.
    The boy is not semi emancipated, he is abandoned. The father can go to jail for this and the boy to juvi
    The boy can go to court and demand rights to see his child after the birth and visitation rights. He does not have any rights to be n any contact with the mother of his child. He can file in court to ask for the right to the information you ask about but it is likely a waste of money.
    Personally, yes, I do think that he should know the due date.
    Yes, I do think he should stop stalking this young woman.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:16 PM on May. 21, 2013