For those who have a "studiable" religion

What percentage of your time is spent studying the factual and contextual history of your religion vs how much is spent on reading doctrinal texts? In other words - do you read only the holy book(s) of your faith, or do you also read factual history books to put things in perspective?

For discussion sake, Discovery and History channel shows don't count - most of those are horribly inaccurate. If you ever tried to cite one in a history class, even at the high school level, you'd get an automatic F for using a fake source.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:31 AM on May. 18, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Do you mean to tell me Ancient Aliens is WRONG!!??!!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:34 AM on May. 18, 2013

• I'm sure it would be quite a shock to some of those CE&HT regulars
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:35 AM on May. 18, 2013

• It's almost all I do, lol. I'll read mostly books on the history and development of my faith. I'll read books discussing different opinions. I'll read books on general religion as well, but because I am Christian that gets the bigger part of my time. Right now I'm reading Asimov's Guide to the Bible, which is a 1400 page endeavor going book by book and conveying the deeper context of passages and themes. I'm also reading Crossan's The Birth of Christianity, as well as The New Testament: Its Background, Growth and Content by Bruce Manning Metzger and America's Religions: Traditions and Cultures by Peter W. Williams (it's not quite as engaging as Head and Heart: A History of Christianity in America by Garry Wills, but it's still informative). I have my own little library going. It's my absolute passion, I'm fascinated. I'll listen to podcasts, too, interviews of authors who write books I've read or am interested in reading...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:37 AM on May. 18, 2013

• Yes, I love history. It is part of what made me stop believing in religion.

Momtoela

Answer by Momtoela at 10:38 AM on May. 18, 2013

• A good portion of my time. Life is sometimes difficult for me as I suffer from depression. Along with medication and talk therapy, I find comfort in studying. Church fathers, great theologians, modern day teachers.
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 11:02 AM on May. 18, 2013

• History is something of a fascination for me, and when I read something I don't understand in the Bible, I like to look it up in other books to see what the context is and what the passage means. One of my favorite classes in college was an ancient history class that gave the cultural background in which the Old Testament was set.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:00 PM on May. 18, 2013

• I was a history major in college and its a definite love of mine. I spend a lot of time reading ancient history books, probably more time than I spend reading the Bible.

Answer by missanc at 5:35 PM on May. 18, 2013

• During Ramadan nearly all my time is spent reading the Qur'an. I read only bits and pieces the rest of the year but I also read extensively on history. I'm currently reading 'Women and the Fatimids in the world of Islam' and before that it was 'Women, Men, and Eunichs In Byzantium'. Most of the books I read are scholarly works, doctoral theses, etc... My own personal interests generally lie in Middle Eastern Culture and History (both ancient and Islamic), women's studies, ethnographic/ethnological studies, and gender politics all focused within the Middle East / North Africa (MENA) region (past and present). I do occasionally read other doctrinal texts such as hadith collections and continue to read language aids to improve my Arabic for understanding the Qur'an better in it's source language.
    You can browse my typical types of reads by viewing my library thing collection
    http://www.librarything.com/catalog/CassandraStrand
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 7:21 PM on May. 18, 2013

• It's funny because most of the CCD classes attended while growing up taught Church history in the older grades. DD #1's high school taught Church history in Sophomore year. Weird thing is that they took that class away the year after she had it. I noticed that the principal had a much more Evangelical approach to Catholic teachings, and over the four years she was at that school many of the really good teachers, including the religion teachers who made students really *think*, were let go and replaced with Bible thumping robots. Sad, really.

As a Pandeist, I have researched both the scientific and philosophical aspect of my beliefs, but there is really no doctrine or text involved.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:30 PM on May. 18, 2013

• I love your avatar anime_mom!!! :D <3
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:55 PM on May. 18, 2013