What exactly does it mean to be Agnostic?

I've heard people refer to themselves as Agnostic before but I'm unclear what exactly this means. What is it that they do/do not believe?

collegexmamix28

Asked by collegexmamix28 at 10:33 AM on May. 18, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• It means they don't presume to say they know definitively there is or is not something (a god, a pantheon of gods, an earth based guiding life force) when there is no proof one way or the other
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:35 AM on May. 18, 2013

• Exactly, ^^^ It, to me, means that I personally can not say what there is or isn't. For example, did something actually set the big bang in motion? Maybe there is some kind of "life force", maybe there isn't? I hope that one day science will have all the answers but, right now we don't.

However, I will say that I do not believe in the biblical god at all. And, if there is a life force/energy of some kind, I doubt 'it", not "he" even realizes "humans" exist, much less interferes in their lives.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:46 AM on May. 18, 2013

• I want to add that not all Agnostics share the same beliefs. Like not all Atheists do.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:48 AM on May. 18, 2013

• Thanks ladies! That's what I was thinking it was but I wanted to be sure. :)
    collegexmamix28

Comment by collegexmamix28 (original poster) at 10:48 AM on May. 18, 2013

• they are...undecided basically. It's not that they don't believe in any God- like Atheists, but they don't believe there IS either-
    so they are maybe, maybe not
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:04 AM on May. 18, 2013

• they believe the existence of a higher being is unknowable.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:13 PM on May. 18, 2013

• I am one. Though I lean more towards being atheist. I will claim atheism until some such deity decides to make it's presence known.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:46 PM on May. 18, 2013

• My understanding is that they neither believe nor disbelieve in the existence of a God, dieties etc. They do not have proof either way
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:57 PM on May. 19, 2013

• BUMP
    live.the.life.

Answer by live.the.life. at 9:17 PM on May. 23, 2013

• Agnosticism is an epistemological position regarding whether one can have knowledge on a subject.
    It is mutually exclusive to the ontological position of whether one has a positive belief, or not.
    One cannot be purely agnostic, as that would suggest they claim no knowledge can be had on any particular subject.
    In the case of god(s), people are either agnostic theists or atheists, or gnostic theists or atheists.
    boojaa

Answer by boojaa at 1:58 PM on May. 26, 2013