How long does it take you to get out the door to go somewhere? How old are your kids? How MANY are there?!

I have 2 kids. a 3 year old and a 6 month old.

SOMETIMES we can get out the door in 30 minutes. My pre-schooler is a distract-a-holic. So hard to get her out the door!

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 3:44 PM on May. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

• Forever and I only have one 6 yr old. Lol. When she was a baby it was a good 45 minutes. Now it's 20 to 25 mins. She needs her digitools, blanket, neck pillow, colors, a dang doll, thermos with green tea, and whatever else she decides she " needs".

I seriously don't know how parents do it with a bunch of kids. I'd need a u haul if I had more than one. Lol!
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 3:48 PM on May. 18, 2013

• It really depends where we're going and what time it is. Every week day morning, I wake up at 6:30. I wake the kids up (my 6 & 3 yr old) at 6:50 for us to leave the apt by 7:40 to get my oldest to school on time.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:55 PM on May. 18, 2013

• it depends where we're going. if its through drive thru somewhere it takes 5 seconds to get out the door. but a pool trip takes 30 minutes to get ready. getting them out the door to school takes about 10 minutes (after breakfast and hair's done and all that obviously). mine aren't babies anymore so i dont have to worry about packing bottles and stuff, now its just a matter of getting them to put their shoes on and go to the bathroom. there are 3 of them ages 6, 4 &3
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:08 PM on May. 18, 2013

• Depends on where we are going. Most of the time it only takes a few minutes. I just have one 7 yo, so it is mostly a matter of him getting his shoes on and then we are out the door.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:12 PM on May. 18, 2013

• I have one six-year-old, and while I might be able to get her out the door in ten minutes if we're just running a short errand, that's only if she's fully dressed. If not, 30 minutes.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:13 PM on May. 18, 2013

• With warnings and priming? We start at an hour before we have to leave. Sometimes we are ready 15 minutes early sometimes we are 15 minutes late. It depends on what kind of day the boy is having and where we are trying to take him.

There is 2 of them, 5 and 8 but the 8 year old has Autism so he can be hit or miss on how hard it is to get him out the door.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:14 PM on May. 18, 2013

• If we ever had to leave the house in a hurry there would be a lot of screaming and me carrying a kid down the steps with no shoes on I'm sure.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:15 PM on May. 18, 2013

• My five-year-old is getting better, but there for a while, getting her out the door was like herding cats.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:16 PM on May. 18, 2013

• If I need to we can do it in 30 mins but I prefer to have an hour. 5 kids - 2, 4, 11, 13, and 15. You would think the older ones don't matter but even they ask me where their shoes are, their scarf, necklace, etc

Answer by missanc at 5:02 PM on May. 18, 2013

• It varies widely. Sometimes I am the worst culprit, if it's about "packing." My husband & kids will be in the car waiting and I'm still getting stuff together. "Trips" can be like that, for us.
    I have 3: a 9 year old & a pair of 4 year olds.
    The routine getting-out-the-door stuff is more smooth (but still varies.) Lately, shoes have been a challenge to find because the boys sometimes take them off in the yard or down by the creek, and the shoes don't always make it back in the house, then they're impossible to find when needed. But that's a matter of implementing systems & getting familiar with them (pointing out how it's a problem, coming up with solutions, remembering those solutions & following through.)
    I also sometimes get distracted/lose track of time so we are in HURRY mode when it's time to go: abrupt transition & rushing to get out the door in order to pick up their big sis from school on time. They are team players!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:29 PM on May. 18, 2013