Fruit kabobs for a 6 yr olds birthday party....

I had a bright idea from Pinterest to make fruit kabobs using bamboo skewers. As I'm assembling them I start to wonder if this is a bad idea. The kids range in age from 3 to 6 that will be here. Should I just do a fruit platter instead of kabobs for safety. I'm thinking they might poke an eye out or get on the trampoline with them.

Wwyd....

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 5:23 PM on May. 18, 2013 in Food & Drink

• make a tray
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:26 PM on May. 18, 2013

• I like the fruit kabobs idea but I think with a big group of kids and some of them being so young I would just do a tray.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:31 PM on May. 18, 2013

• I'm thinking so too now. We have a 2 yr old, 3 yr old, 4 yr old, eight 5 year olds and my dd that just turned 6. The youngest ones are little rough tarts too.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 5:35 PM on May. 18, 2013

• I'd go with just a platter. Even if all the kids were to do really well with them, it'll also avoid any parents flipping out on you for it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:36 PM on May. 18, 2013

• I, personally, would do the kabobs. I would also clip the pointed end off after they are assembled and make sure they knew they were for sitting at the table only. No running around with them. If the venue will make that to hard to do then skip it and do a tray. You could arrange it in rainbow order if you wanted to make it more fun.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:42 PM on May. 18, 2013

• How about clear little plastic cups & fill each with some fruit balls & whipped cream! I'm afraid that the skewers would end us being used as swords! LOL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:09 PM on May. 18, 2013

• end up*
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:10 PM on May. 18, 2013

• Make a tray unless you can contain the kabob-eating in one small place, away from the running and jumping.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:16 PM on May. 18, 2013

• Have you ever seen those cocktail tooth picks that come in different shapes? For my sons 3rd bday it was pirate themed so I got these sword shaped cocktail toothpicks to stick cheese and meats on, see if you can find anything like that to match your theme and it would be safer than skewers

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:30 PM on May. 18, 2013