Are the "Warriors" Books by Erin Hunter okay for a 5-6 year old?

Or are they too violent? Looking for some good chapter books to read to him and I find the Magic Treehouse books a bit boring...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on May. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

• I haven't read that series so I am not sure. I know my 7 yo enjoys ABC Mysteries and Cul-de-Sac Kids. He also enjoys Diary of a Whimpy Kid and Encyclopeadia Brown books.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:14 PM on May. 18, 2013

• I don't know if I've heard of that series, but it looks interesting. My advice would be to read it with your child, and if it starts to make you uncomfortable stop. Unless anyone can tell you exactly what to expect without having to look for yourself.

My five year old LOVES the Ga'Hoole series. We're on book 9 or 10. I've read him the first Harry Potter, too. I'm trying to think of others, lol. Oh, I read him The Princes Bride, haha. We also check out tons of books from the library every week. We'll read one chapter book together at a time (that's the Ga'Hoole series right now), for bedtime each night (we'll do a few chapters a night), and he'll read whatever he can get his hands on the rest of the time - shorter books from the children's section that he can sit and read on his own. So far the longest he's read on his own was the Pokemon book from the movie...

I didn't think of Encyclopedia Brown, kmath, that's a good one!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:43 PM on May. 18, 2013

• My son loves this series. He started reading them when he was 9 or 10 I think. I asked him and he said they would be fine. He said the Omen of the Stars books might be a little scary for some kids because ghosts attack..  He said the Power of Three is the least scary of all of them, but that none of the books are really scary. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:15 AM on May. 19, 2013