Picky Eater help!

Ok, so here's the deal. My son is 15months now and has been sampling regular food since he was 6months (he decided he didn't want baby food anymore.) In the beginning it was easy, he would eat veggies, fruits anything I would put in front of him. No he is the complete opposite, he refuses to eat most things. If I would let him he would live on French Fries, Goldfish crackers and hotdogs. Well that's just not going to happen.
I'm at a loss at what to do, I would love to know how to get around this.
I'm also trying to find some healthy kid friendly easy reciepes to make throughout the week so any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for everyones help!

Geokiwi

Asked by Geokiwi at 3:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Food & Drink

• It seems kid around that age turn into picky eaters. My niece from about 10 months till now shes almost 24 months has been a picky eater and she was loosing weight and they had to get a special formula for her but now shes eating everything again. Its seems to be just a faze for kids that age. Maybe make him stuff with noodles get fun shaped noodles and have him name them and pick his favorites. Homemade mac and cheese its still yummy and healthier than the boxed stuff. Maybe put a little honey on his veggies so they are sweet. GL your kid may end up like me, a picky eater for life!! Lets hope not!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• yeah, my daughter is 14 mos, and she used to be so good about eating anything i gave her. she loves french fries, so i get sweet potato fries now instead for her. she will sometimes eat ground beef in spaghetti, but that's it. other wise, we just get white meat chicken nuggets for her. i haven't tried her on hot dogs, i guess i could. cheaper than the gerber meat sticks- they kind of gross me out! if you're interested, i have a few public journals that have recipes for toddlers. most of them i have tried, and they worked out well. the squash lasagna i am getting ready to make here in a day or two, just got some noodles, so we'll see how that one goes, but most of the others my daughter loves!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 4:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Thank you both so much for the info. I did go shopping and got him some fun soups and pastas. As for the mac and Cheese... even that is a no go for him. Oh well. Glad to hear this is a normal thing and it will hopefully *Fingers crossed* pass! LOL
    Thanks again!
    Geokiwi

Answer by Geokiwi at 5:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I have a picky eater also and from experience I can tell you there are a million different answers out there, but you have to find what's right for you and your child. My best tricks that have worked so far - I sneak veggies into anything I can from spaghetti sauce, pizzas, meatloaf, etc. I puree them, chop them up fine - whatever works for the dish. (spinach pureed under pizza sauce is vitually undetectable, carrots pureed in spaghetti sauce the same, etc) The second thing I would try are smoothies - My kids all liked banana strawberry blends. I could usually add about a cup of yogurt for three servings and any other odd fruit you have on hand, add fruit juice or milk to thin out as necessary. The thrid bit of advice is don't give up - keep offering healthy choices every meal and snack, kids need repeated exposure to some new things before they will take hold. Try to always give them one option you know they'll eat.
    lilsoonergirl

Answer by lilsoonergirl at 11:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2009