It Really Aggravates Me When People Say This...

Don't get me wrong. I advocate adopting animals from shelters but it really aggravates me when, for example, I read or hear a story about a rescue dog saving someone's life and people say things like "That's a shelter dog for you! They're so grateful and loyal." It really bothers me. It isn't just rescue dogs that are loyal and a dog's love and devotion for their human has nothing to do with where they came from. Dogs that come from breeders and equally as capable of saving a human life or protecting their household. Also, it really makes me angry when people act like you are going to hell because you paid for a dog when there are dogs in shelters that need homes. I understand animals are killed in shelters because of overcrowding. I hate it when people are not responsible with their animals. In my opinion, I am responsible with my dogs, and my puppies when I choose to breed them, and my other animals, and people should mind their own business about my animals. Does that mean that the only people who should have puppies/kittens are people who will abandon them at a shelter? Why should I be criticized for being responsible and selling puppies to people who will take care of them. It's not like the people I sell puppies to would go to a shelter if I didn't offer one of mine. Also, by that logic, the only people that should have children are people that are going to put them up for adoption or abuse them and have them taken away. I know people that have their tubes tied and opt to just adopt instead of getting pregnant and giving birth. Great for you and your family but don't criticize me because I choose to get pregnant with my children.

I have five working dogs (and one useless basset hound that is just eye candy). Five of them came from breeders and my basset hound I did actually rescue from the street. A few years ago, my two border collies, and my Australian shepherd, which were all bred by breeders, saved my little three year old niece from a pit bull that tried to attack her. The other day, my husband's St. Bernard, who was also from a breeder, killed a cottonmouth snake that tried to bite my husband. They are very protective of my child. Their love for us has nothing to do with where they came from. They are loyal and loving because they are loved and cared for and are treated as members of the family. Yes, shelter dogs make wonderful pets and they are in need of good loving homes and, if we didn't need working dogs, we would probably have more shelter dogs but coming from a shelter doesn't make a dog more loyal or more loving. Any dog that is loved will protect their owners.

If you choose to adopt from shelters then that is great and more power to you but do not criticize those that do not. Just because they come from breeders doesn't make my dogs any less loyal, special, or loved.

Cowgirl_Coyote

Asked by Cowgirl_Coyote at 12:59 AM on May. 19, 2013 in Pets

• I agree. People flap their lips too much when it comes to telling others, on a host of issues, how to live their lies. Enjoy your dogs, and don't give the habitual bitchers a second thought.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:03 AM on May. 19, 2013

• What really aggravates me is when folks treat the dogs like they are human, with human thoughts and behavior. For example, my dh was so bad at this. We would leave and he would see are dog looking through the window with a "sad face". Or would say, "he probably hates me because I left him home". So annoying, and I learned to bite my tongue to the point I think I would chew it right off. People with the little dogs are especially bad treating fido as a a little baby. Then they wonder why fido is out of control. IMO, I think the little dogs dogs are more vicious than any big breeds!!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:23 AM on May. 19, 2013

• That has nothing to do with my statement but ok. I will admit, I treat my dogs like they have emotions too, not like they have no feelings or opinions. My dogs are not out of control. They are some of the best behaved dogs I've ever seen. What is wrong with showing empathy for the animals. Maybe the dog was sad because he was left home all day. I know mine are sad when they are left home.
    Cowgirl_Coyote

Comment by Cowgirl_Coyote (original poster) at 1:48 AM on May. 19, 2013

• I am sorry OP, I misunderstood your post.. :)
    "My dogs are not out of control. "OP
    I didn't mean to imply that your dogs were out of control, I was just giving an example of what I have seen with small dogs. My grandma is real bad with doing that! Now he bites, and growls whenever anyone came close to her. Basically he has 'claimed her'" and that he is the pack leader, and she has a hell of a time getting him to settle down.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:06 AM on May. 19, 2013

• Blame the bad breeders who give the good breeders bad reputations.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:28 AM on May. 19, 2013

• I got 2 of my dogs from a breeder before I started the rescue here at my house. They are great dogs, however....the 1st dog I adopted from the shelter is more of a baby and spoiled than my other dogs. I honestly do believe she knows I saved her. She was scheduled to be put down 2 days after I got her. She never leaves my side. As a matter of fact, she's in my lap right now. Don't get me wrong, I love my other dogs, the 2 from breeders, the stray I adopted and the 3 shelter pups, but there is just something about the bond I have with Bama. Not saying you can't have that with a dog you buy from a breeder....just saying my mutt is great. :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:50 AM on May. 19, 2013

• Mountain out of Molehill. Seriously. There are benefits to both Shelter dogs and to dogs bought from a breeder. ALL dogs are grateful and loyal when raised properly in a loving home. Doesn't matter if they are pure bred or mutts, came from a shelter, or a breeder. It's really just a matter pf personal preference and it's kind of petty to get upset over.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:27 AM on May. 19, 2013

• I found my basset hound in a dumpster when he was only a few days old. He is definitely my baby but just because he was my only dog at the time and, since he was so weak and pitiful when he was a baby, I carried him around everywhere and babied him.
    Cowgirl_Coyote

Comment by Cowgirl_Coyote (original poster) at 2:49 AM on May. 20, 2013