Are you a stickler for etiquette?

I'm not old school or anything. I don't mind if my sons friends call me by my first name but there are some things that still bug me! This afternoon I was gettin off the elevator and when the door opened, a coworker was waiting to get on. Usually if I'm the one waiting I'll let the person get off, then get on, but this woman walked right in front of me and got on before I could get off! When I'm getting to a door and there is somene behind me, I'll usually hold the door for them even if I go in first. But these days people will walk in and let the door close in your face. Am I the only one who this bothers? What is something people do these days that irritates you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The only rudeness I have noticed is how my teen daughters speak with me during a conversation. They actually refer to me as "dude" and I interrupt them to remind them that they need to start their sentence over again and address me correctly. The majority of their friends are terrible on the telephone! When they call MY house on MY telephone they don't have any manners at all. They just don't speak when I say hello until I say hello more sternly. Then they ask if so-and-so is there. Rather than automatically get the daughter they are asking for I'll just say yes and then leave them hanging. Eventually, they ask to speak to her. I tell my girls over and over again that when they call someone's home they are to ask to speak to their friend PLEASE in a polite tone when someone other than their friend answers the phone. My 17 y/o has one friend who was taught properly and I enjoy speaking with her when she calls - she is a doll!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• If someone is acting that way, they are probably not so much being rude as just very preoccupied.

In my experience, I have not noticed people being ruder.

I'm sorry that happened!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I am right there with you! People don't seem to teach their kids manners anymore these days either. It bothers me every day. I think teenagers now are the worst!
    Anonymous

• yea... that is quite rude....

i dunno, i try not to let little things get to me.. i just cant stand when people will stare at you... its like wtf r u looking at?? and your rude if u ask them what they are looking at..... i will walk by and eyes just follow me... its very annoying to me... its like damn if ur going to just stand there and stare SAY SOMETHING!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• oh yea def. agree with anon 327... people dont teach their children any manners now a days...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• ANON 327 - every generation since time began has thought the next to be rude and crude.

Kids!
    I don't know what's wrong with these kids today!
    Kids!
    Who can understand anything they say?
    Kids!
    They a disobedient, disrespectful oafs!
    Noisy, crazy, dirty, lazy, loafers!
    While we're on the subject:
    Kids!
    You can talk and talk till your face is blue!
    Kids!
    But they still just do what they want to do!
    Why can't they be like we were,
    Perfect in every way?
    What's the matter with kids today?
    Kids!
    I've tried to raise him the best I could
    Kids! Kids!
    Laughing, singing, dancing, grinning, morons!
    And while we're on the subject!
    Kids! They are just impossible to control!
    Kids! With their awful clothes and their rock an' roll!
    Why can't they dance like we did
    What's wrong with Sammy Caine?
    What's the matter with kids today!

Love m
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• im with you there.

things like that bother me too. i always let people get out of the elevator first. if someone is behind me i hold the door open. if there is a woman with a stroller, trying to get up the stairs then i will def. offer to help.
    just the other day i stood at the traffic light when i was out for a walk with my DD. There was an old lady. she came across the street, i saw her walking a little "funny" so i waited at the other side to make sure she will make it. Then she stopped at the light. seemed like she was dizzy. i asked her if she was alright. if she needed help or a doctor. i couldnt just walk by.

when im in a store at the cash registry and someone behind me has way less items than i do, then i will let them go ahead.
    many, many other things... thats just how i was raised.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I'll also let someone go in front of me if they only have a few items and I have a loaded cart. Even in my own family, if we are all eating together, I wait until my mom and all my aunts have eaten before i sit down to eat. One of my cousins gets to the table and sets up camp which really annoys me!
    Anonymous

• it dirves me insane when people don't stay to the right when walking in a mall or down the street. They walk 4 or 5 across and you can't pass them.. Also can't stand when people walk in the middle of the aisle of a parking lot, it's a parking lot - has moving cars, stay out o the middle of the road
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 3:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I hate it when people walk in the middle of the parking lot! So I'm supposed to trail behind you while you stroll across the road?!
    Anonymous