I'm 16 and have been very stressed lately. I had sex once in the past month and he used a condom. I'm a week late on my period and am very nervous. I took a pregnancy test at the beginning of my period and it was negative. Should I be worried? Thanks!

Lucy22956

Asked by Lucy22956 at 9:14 AM on May. 19, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Stress can cause your period to be delayed or completely missed. Since it has been a week since you have taken a pregnancy test, take another one. If it still says negative, I would schedule a doctor's appointment to rule out anything serious.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:22 AM on May. 19, 2013

• Test again to be sure.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:30 AM on May. 19, 2013

• Go talk to your parents! Go get on BC!

Answer by louise2 at 9:33 AM on May. 19, 2013

• stress can cause it, and also I would not trust condoms alone- if you are going to have sex, please do yourself a favor and get on birth control as well

hopefully, everything is okay- just late
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:17 AM on May. 19, 2013

• How can you be a week late AND have a period?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:25 AM on May. 19, 2013

• Test again. If the result is still negative then I guess go with that until your next period would be due (unless you get other pregnancy symptoms in which case test again and get seen by a physician or pregnancy clinic). False negatives (meaning you are pregnant but are not testing positive) are not common but they do happen.
    If it turns out you are not pregnant, I would highly recommend getting on a more reliable form of birth control that you are responsible for.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:26 AM on May. 19, 2013

I didn't catch that! I was thinking it hadn't come yet...

I think you are fine, but please get some birth control AND use condoms ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:39 AM on May. 19, 2013

• feralxat, I think she meant that she tested at the beginning of when her period was supposed to come.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:54 AM on May. 19, 2013

• It could be the stress that's leading to the delay in your period. You can also go to Planned Parenthood (they won't contact your parents), and you can get a test there. They can also talk to you about other birth control options.
    Good luck hun!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:08 AM on May. 19, 2013

• Brand new profile today..found answers in under a minute....either Cafemom is being advertised on teen pregnancy sites as the go to "Am I pregnant" source or we've got more trolls.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:19 AM on May. 19, 2013