Tick - Little Freaked Out ... HELP!

Accompanied DS on a field trip through the woods; despite showering and immediately checking for tics upon returning home, did not find any (one) until 36 hours later. Got it out in one piece, doc said to wash the site and disinfect it and to watch it for several days. The spot is red, and a bit sore.

Based on internet pics, it does look like a deer tick and not a wood tick. It was not engorged with blood/don't think it fed on me for very long. May go to doc and have it checked it for my own piece of mind but would welcome thoughts on anyone who has experience with this.

Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on May. 19, 2013 in Health

• Eh, girl, if we went to the Dr. for every tick, we'd be broke. In our area, it's an everyday occurrence. You just need to be aware of a red bulls eye type rash that could develop. I'm sure it's all fine... just keep an eye on it. Don't use Google, they're only going to show the bad stuff.

When we went on those searches for our local missing woman, the bottoms of our legs would literally be black with ticks.... ugh....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:55 AM on May. 19, 2013

• Where we grew up, ticks were a part of our childhood. Sounds like you removed it all so I wouldn't worry about it.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:08 PM on May. 19, 2013

• What to watch for...
    Bull's eye rash around the bite- Lyme Disease
    Purple splotches developing on hands/feet- Rocky Mountain Spotted fever
    Any muscle aches, stiff necks, headaches, etc.- A variety of other possible diseases passed down from ticks.

Aside from this then it's just going to be a little red and sore at the point of entry from the tick and you'll be fine in a few days. Chances are you'll be fine.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:06 PM on May. 19, 2013

• I think you should go to the Dr. ASAP. If it was infected with Lyme Disease then if you start antibiotics right away, it prevents the disease. Is there Lyme Disease in your area? Check out this site:

http://www.stopgerms.org/documents/tick.html?gclid=CLqx977DorcCFU-d4AodFxcASQ
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:54 AM on May. 19, 2013

• Also watch for the "Bulls Eye" circle at the bite site. This is often the first sign & you MUST seek treatment immediately.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:56 AM on May. 19, 2013

• Where I live it is very prevalent & I know many people who suffer from Lyme Disease. It's no joke. A friend is very sick from it & had to have lymph nodes removed & it is not curable if you let it go.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:58 AM on May. 19, 2013

• Because of the anesthetic a tick secretes when it latches on it can be very irritating to the skin. My husband had a tiny tick that I pulled off and he had a red sore on his knee for over 6 months. I've seen this happen a few times on both people and animals (I was a vet tech). I would just keep an eye on it but be aware of the symptoms of Lymes so you can get it taken care of as quickly as possible.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 10:20 PM on May. 19, 2013

• Yeah I agree, make an appointment with the doctor ASAP or see urgent care to get started on medication right away. Lyme disease develops over time but the sooner you medicate, the less the effects. I know someone who got symptoms months after the bite and wasn't diagnosed with Lyme disease until over a year later because the symptoms are similar to other conditions.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:28 AM on May. 20, 2013

• Our doctor recommended antibiotics immediately because the quicker you catch it the easier it is to eradicate if it is Lyme disease. My son had one 2 years ago and the doc gave antibiotic immediately, tested the tick (positive) and then had son's blood tested every 3 months for a year. Negative so far, but now we are testing every 6 months for 2 more years just to be sure. If you wait until you have symptoms it is going to much more difficult to "cure" the lyme disease according to our doc.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:05 PM on May. 20, 2013