Spanking....

is there a middle ground?

meliscool72

Asked by meliscool72 at 1:53 PM on May. 19, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Every parent will spank if pushed hard enough. Kid runs in street, parent who has never spanked before will spank. Kid hit sibling in the head with hammer, parent will spank. Never say never with parenting. Some kids will push you to the limit and right over the edge. Strict dogma serves no one. Decide in advance and don't be shocked when it happens.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:49 AM on May. 21, 2013

• What do you mean "Is there a middle ground"? As in not spanking or spanking? Or as in "spanking vs abuse" or "Spanking is abuse".
    You really need to be more specific as to what you are asking.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:56 PM on May. 19, 2013

• Yeah not sure what kind of middle ground you are asking about?
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:57 PM on May. 19, 2013

• What??? As in a gentle swat on the ass or a full fledged beating?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:57 PM on May. 19, 2013

• I hope so.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:38 PM on May. 19, 2013

• I do believe in discipline but I DO NOT believe in abuse. There is a difference in a few pops on the but because of a temper tantrum and a beating because you're in a bad mood. I don't spank for every act of misbehavior but the key is consistency.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 8:18 PM on May. 19, 2013

• Yeah, it's where the kid stands in the middle of you & your hand! :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:59 AM on May. 20, 2013

• If the question is asking can you give reasonable, effective spankings then yes.

Oh btw older, you have no idea what you are talking about. Stop believing everything you read on the internet. Spanking done correctly teaches lessons just like any other punishment does. It doesn't teach fear or violence. The cartoons your kids watch teach more violence then a spanking does, the news you watch teaches more fear then a spanking does.
    JanetMonroe1991

Answer by JanetMonroe1991 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• I don't believe in spanking as general discipline. I do believe that a swat on the bum in a very dangerous situation (like a kiddo running across a street without looking) can help reinforce the lesson.

GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 5:08 PM on May. 19, 2013

• I think I get what your asking, as in severity of spanking? When I am trying to get my ds attention or get him moving he may get a quick swat to show him I'm serious. If it's for discipline because he has done something wrong that warrants a spanking then it's more harsh.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 10:00 PM on May. 19, 2013